helikon sachel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rizla

Jan 15, 2021
S wales
good evening chaps, thinking of getting a new shoulder bag for day trips out just to carry my brew kit, bit of food, and knife/saw
the helikon bushcraft sachel look good, any thoughts on these please or something simular,
thanks

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
I've got one and it's very good but you can easily pack it too full to carry comfortably. I dont use it too much anymore as even though they seem to be the standard bushcraft way of carrying things I just don't find sachels as comfortable as backpacks or bum bags. But if you like sachels I'd recommend it.

Reactions: moocher

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I don't think its the one you specified but useful info here:-

Agree 100% with the guy. I found any form of one shoulder bags or slings best used around the camp for bits and bobs. When you get to the naughty corner you can hand this on the side of your chair and have access to everything.

throw in a poncho, a sandwich and a bottle of water and the weight of the whole thing becomes uncomfortable to carry even for few miles. It can be done but your shoulder and spine will feel the uneven load.

Reactions: Rizla and TeeDee

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Agree 100% with the guy. I found any form of one shoulder bags or slings best used around the camp for bits and bobs. When you get to the naughty corner you can hand this on the side of your chair and have access to everything.

throw in a poncho, a sandwich and a bottle of water and the weight of the whole thing becomes uncomfortable to carry even for few miles. It can be done but your shoulder and spine will feel the uneven load.
Bottle of WHAT.!!

• Haha
Reactions: crosslandkelly

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Yep - tried this route with the Maxiexped stuff and it just swings and moves too much. Which is also part of a concern I have with loading the multi-pocketed MOLLE type bags where the weight is never cinched in close and just distributed further and further back from the COG of the user.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Shoulder bags rub against the clothing and slowly destroy the fabric of it.
The more robust the bag, the worse it is for your polyester - cotton blend trousers.

Due to my job I regularly carry a Cordura Nylon 1000 Denier shoulder bag, walk perhaps 20 km per day and could replace my pretty tough trousers every three month. After 5 or 6 month the trousers aren't longer usable because they get large holes at the bag side.

If you carry a polish bread bag, or whatever is currently fashionable in the USA, it might work a bit longer. But I assume that I don't talk with Brits about cotton bags, isn't it?

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I´ll have to back a little. I have a shoulderpouch, not a bag. Containing firelighting stuff so no heavy stuff at all. It also has a waistbelt to keep it in place.

Reactions: moocher

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
good evening chaps, thinking of getting a new shoulder bag for day trips out just to carry my brew kit, bit of food, and knife/saw
the helikon bushcraft sachel look good, any thoughts on these please or something simular,
thanks
I have one of the satchels and really like it. It can carry a decent amount of gear and is more spacious than you think. I have added an external bottle holder to keep the coffee mug handy.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
00978396191622845bcb3c0158fc2848.jpg

Reactions: Rizla

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
That the E&E pouch?
I’m In the same boat as a few that have posted like the idea of the satchel but since I suffered trapped nerve in the neck I cannot stand the one strap approach most I can manage is using a Romanian bread bag as a work bag carry it to the car an back only short distances . ☹️

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
In less than a month I will have been carrying this satchel for 4 years. Here in Costa Rica we do not have a car so anything I might need whenever I leave the house has to be on me. I actually put it together back in 2016 but it never saw use until January 2018. Loaded up it's around 7 pounds and I've used it for day hikes up the mountains and as EDC. As others have stated it's easy to overload a satchel, mine stays at around 7 pounds. There have been a few times it has been uncomfortable so I converted into a backpack, it's quick and easy to do because of the design. When I know I will be camping overnight I use Romanian rucksack and a Polish bread bag combo. I absolutely love mine and it works for what I need however YMMV
IMG-20211231-130235-2.jpg

IMG-20211231-130246-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rizla and Herman30

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Had my Satchel for a year now and irs my general carry bag for whenever a rucksack would be over kill. I too found it too easy to overfill so have stripped the molle pouches off the ends, which just encouraged me to carry more and put a Navtel pouch on the strap and a Maxpedition strap pad which spreads out the load some. I've not had any trouble with it wearing out clothes but then it doesn't seam to move about much at all when I walk. I probably wear it higher up under the arm pit than most, more like they did back in the day than swinging over ya bum like a hippy! But then anyone e seeing me says i walk like a duck so that may have some bearing...

I did cut a sit mat from a old karrimat to fit from the seam that holds the mesh pocket, underneath the two inner waterbottle pockets and up to the top on the front whi h helps protect the contents, keeps it to shape and weighs practically nowt. I suppose it also presents a smooth side to you so it won't rub as much?

I can't say I've weighed it once full but if it does feel on the heavy side I just use another pouch on a shoulder strap ( so far a HT essentials pouch ) going the opposite way over the other shoulder. All a bit 18 th century I know. Can't say I've had to do it often yet. I do like the amount of space in the Haversack, mainly so I can stuff in light bulky stuff like a Sleeka or a xl jungle blanket. With a added hook and eye the latter makes a decent dry weather cloak for sitting out in, so long g as there's no fire, like when you cool down when you stop to eat or watch the wildlife.

Possibly my best buy for 2021.

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE