Helikon Kit - Any good?

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

Anyone had any experience of Helikon Kit?

I have seen a green set of trousers and shirt on ebay, sadly to small for me.

But got me looking at the other kit.

Is it any good?

Thanks

Trojan

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive got some trouser's and a couple of jacket's they are'nt bad ive used the trousers on numerous camp's and will be this weekend, though they aint quite as good as the us b.d.u stuff.

garethw

Settler
I've a couple of pairs of the SFU trousers. I'm very pleased with them. Had them a couple of months now, worn daily. comfortable, and look hard wearing. The Nylco ripstop material feels way more substantial than the Craghoopers I'd been wearing till now. All double stiched with lots of pockets.
I'd read some good write ups on the French outdoor forums, and for £25 you can't go wrong.
cheers
Gareth

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have some of the SFU trousers and have had them for about 9 months. I think the material's ver good, and the cut is OK. However, not so sure about the bellows thigh pockets - they don't sit well with heavier items in them - possibly as they only expand at the back. And the button fly has too few buttons: when you sit down or bend at the waist, the fly opens!

Having said all that, they are good for the price.

garethw

Settler
I have some of the SFU trousers and have had them for about 9 months. I think the material's ver good, and the cut is OK. However, not so sure about the bellows thigh pockets - they don't sit well with heavier items in them - possibly as they only expand at the back. And the button fly has too few buttons: when you sit down or bend at the waist, the fly opens!

Having said all that, they are good for the price.

I agree with what Mikey says... the cut is ok, but fits me fine. They are higher waisted than the Craghoopers and with a belt don't slip down all the time. I'm hoping this means that the crotch won't split after a few months wear like the Kiwi's do.

The pocket does bellow out a bit, but then so does the thigh pocket on the Kiwi Basecamps I have.. (it is not double thickness as regular Kiwis are). I think the single thickness cloth is the reason.
Not found the fly a problem, while I'm not a big fan of button flies, I find its high enough when I sit down that its not a problem.
cheers
Gareth

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've got 3 pairs of the SFU's and really love them. They're comfy, hard wearing and reasonably quick to dry. Loads of space in the many pockets and a good fit. The waist adjusters are a pain initially as they keep slipping but a bit of tinkering with a pair of pliers and they're fine (I wear a belt on everything apart from my PJ's so not a problem:)).

Good deep hip pockets that are made from the same tough material as the trousers (rather than thin lining material).

The knee pad slots are handy too although I just bought some craft foam from the pound shop and cut my own to size. Less bulky than the real thing, less noticeable and gives just the right amount of cushioning too. (Plus plenty much cheaper too).

Between my SFU's and my craghoppers basecamps, these are pretty much my daily wear.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The knee pad slots are handy too although I just bought some craft foam from the pound shop and cut my own to size. Less bulky than the real thing, less noticeable and gives just the right amount of cushioning too. (Plus plenty much cheaper too).

Ah! Craft foam! Genius!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE