Heavy Cover canteen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Does anyone have and use the Heavy Cover titanium canteen set. Is it worth buying or should I just stick with my crusader and plastic bottle.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hmmm I'm not being funny it's a nice piece of kit. Shiny, titanium, lightweight. It's only a canteen, mug and lid though. I got mine, a Keith Titanium canteen, from Amazon but the prices have probably gone up about £30 - £40. I love it! I'm carrying it in a Maxpedition M4 canteen pouch but I'm being torn looking at the Centreline Mother pouch or the Helikon essentials. I'm leaning towards the Centreline Mother pouch, I like the fact you can drink from it without having to open the pouch. All said and done it only does the same as your crusader and plastic bottle. Come to the dark side ;-)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Looks Nice
But can u put it on the Fire?

I have a 40 oz. Stainless steel Clean kanteen plus stainless mug which slides on the bottom

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hmmm I'm not being funny it's a nice piece of kit. Shiny, titanium, lightweight. It's only a canteen, mug and lid though. I got mine, a Keith Titanium canteen, from Amazon but the prices have probably gone up about £30 - £40. I love it! I'm carrying it in a Maxpedition M4 canteen pouch but I'm being torn looking at the Centreline Mother pouch or the Helikon essentials. I'm leaning towards the Centreline Mother pouch, I like the fact you can drink from it without having to open the pouch. All said and done it only does the same as your crusader and plastic bottle. Come to the dark side ;-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titanium-Military-Capacity-Portable-Dual-use/dp/B01L1LQVPO

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For contrast my similar sized £9.99 Chinese cheapo canteen [plastic bottle, aluminium cup, heavy tinfoil lid, 12 puritabs and the holster) weighs in at 325g making it a little heavier than this Titanium cousin at a mere 313g and I cannot hang my bottle over a fire. Then again boiling two cups of water separately takes about the same time as it would in a full canteen so not really a problem worth throwing that kind of money at.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the Keith titanium canteen set it is the same as the HC only without the HC logo but from the same manufacturer in china. Mine cost less than the HC and was cheaper than £100 but I got lucky.

It is a light bit of kit and yes you can put it in the fire both the cup and canteen but you need to keep the lid of the canteen out of the fire as it has a seal in the lid. It is almost the same as the old spam canteen but slightly more even in it's oval shape. mine came with a cover which has two zipped pockets to hold stuff and has a slot to hold the lid as well in the main body, the flap can be tucked in and the Y strap comes over the top to hold it in place. The canteen holds 1 litre easily so is still good if using tablets to purify. I like the set a lot and can see why many people like it. I also as you know have the mix up of the old 58 bottle set and my nalgene sets as well, but this is another set up I like especially if going out for a quick bimble in the woods and I only need a water bottle set up and not a full haversack or pouch set up.

The set is light and I keep mine filled and in the car as it is a full mini kit in itself. I will have it at the NW meet if you want to see it person before pulling the trigger to have a good look at it?

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have the Keith titanium canteen set it is the same as the HC only without the HC logo but from the same manufacturer in china. Mine cost less than the HC and was cheaper than £100 but I got lucky.

It is a light bit of kit and yes you can put it in the fire both the cup and canteen but you need to keep the lid of the canteen out of the fire as it has a seal in the lid. It is almost the same as the old spam canteen but slightly more even in it's oval shape. mine came with a cover which has two zipped pockets to hold stuff and has a slot to hold the lid as well in the main body, the flap can be tucked in and the Y strap comes over the top to hold it in place. The canteen holds 1 litre easily so is still good if using tablets to purify. I like the set a lot and can see why many people like it. I also as you know have the mix up of the old 58 bottle set and my nalgene sets as well, but this is another set up I like especially if going out for a quick bimble in the woods and I only need a water bottle set up and not a full haversack or pouch set up.

The set is light and I keep mine filled and in the car as it is a full mini kit in itself. I will have it at the NW meet if you want to see it person before pulling the trigger to have a good look at it?

That's the same as mine but you got a far better price than me. The pouch that mine came with was poor so I got lucky on eBay for a Maxp canteen pouch.

IMG_3920.jpg
In Maxpediton M4 pouch. I have a few straps I use to carry it over my shoulder.

IMG_3921.jpg
Contents, Trek protein bar (v tasty and only good things in it), small brew kit with purifying tablets, hand sanitiser (high alcohol content so good firestarter), K&M match case, BCUK button light (I must have got this years ago, I found it recently in amongst a survival kit).

Last edited:
For me it's the last solo cook set I'll buy.

Mine's teamed with an Emberlit Fireant, and an Evernew Ti alcholol stove and trivet. The Fireant doubles as a windshield when I'm using alcohol.

Super light, super robust (it's a thicker titanium than some of the ultralight set-ups) and perfectly sized.

You'll have to bite a bullet on cost, but if you're like me, it will stop the endless outlay on trying to tweak the perfect set-up.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks folks for taking the time out to comment.
Pete if I'm able to make it I will have a look at it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

the helikon is a cracking bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE