Heat Protection? Re-purposed items?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just curious as to whether anyone uses those little soldering mats under stoves when out and about. I bought one years ago from wickes and use it under trangia using both meths and gas burner. I find it does offer some protection.

I wonder if there's other uses in the outdoors for such a thing? Anything else that has been re-purposed for outdoor use?

Danqrl

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2021
Derbyshire
I have used an old fire blanket designed for putting over a burning pan of oil. That worked quite well for me as something to put a trangia meths burner on.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Just curious as to whether anyone uses those little soldering mats under stoves when out and about. I bought one years ago from wickes and use it under trangia using both meths and gas burner. I find it does offer some protection.

I wonder if there's other uses in the outdoors for such a thing? Anything else that has been re-purposed for outdoor use?

I use one for exactly that!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Some people use those fire blankets or welding curtains as a BBQ insulation for cold weather barbecues. At least in America it seems. Photos of Americans in the snow barbecuing with the blankets firmly attached.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE