Heard about grapple fishing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
grapple.jpg

This is a grapple - it is thrown out over a shoal of fish, mullet being a good choice, and swifly pulled back through the shoal.

I was shown this technique twenty years ago in Yugoslavia by an old fisherman. I have made a few of these over the years varying in size. The spikes should be made from hard wood and fire hardened as they soften at the tips with prolonged use.

Although illegal in the UK, grapple fishing is still a worthwhile skill, as is the pole snare, in the world of bushcraft and wilderness living skills.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a beautiful thing Patrick. How are the spikes attached? It looks like a binding covered in glue there but I'm probably wrong. Thanks for sharing - its great to see such traditional crafts

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well without wanting to embarrass you - thats proper bushcraft - fantastic stuff thank you! Absurdly neat cordage too!

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
torjusg said:
Very nice Patrick.

Don't know it is legal here, but it would sure be fun to try. Am I right assuming that herring may be a little too frail for this type of fishing?

Looks very nice.
It is a more primitive variant of a fishing kit we used as kids. A large treble hook was used in the same manner to catch Salmon in the creeks.
And no. It is not legal.

Tor

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tor helge said:
Looks very nice.
It is a more primitive variant of a fishing kit we used as kids. A large treble hook was used in the same manner to catch Salmon in the creeks.
And no. It is not legal.

Tor

Known as "stroke haulin'" where i come from, and rather frowned upon :nono:

Nice piece of kit Patrick. What woods have you used and is it weighted to get it below the surface, or is it strictly a surface tool?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Used something similar to catch Grey Mullet in Greece when I worked on a fishfarm there

The mullet would swim outside the fishcages to scrounge any food that was swept out by the currents and the water was literally black with them.

Biggest one I managed to catch was about 1.7 kilos

Naturally they are very canny fish and difficult to catch with baited hooks, cage traps or nets.

But had more than my share of free suppers fishing for them this way :)

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE