Heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
cheers for the heads up just ordered one especialy with multi gas adaptor every where seems sold out of them and there a tenner on there own goodjob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the heads up :D
Mine arrived this afternoon :D :D
Really good for all that I paid for it :cool:

appreciated :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just a word of warning with these, they don't burn propane.

The gauze burned out in the burner head resulting in the flame leaping inside and heating the whole thing red hot. Melted the tailgate on my work truck a bit too, but it could easily have been a fire in a tent porch.

Gelert say that only butane should be used, NOT propane mixes. This isn't made very clear when buying. They say the copper tube on the side is for pre-heating the gas for a cold weather burn. I'm not convinced butane is very useful in freezing conditions and have opted for a Vango folding stove instead. No piezo ignition on it, but I'm sure I'll cope.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just a word of warning with these, they don't burn propane.

Good call.

The gauze burned out in the burner head resulting in the flame leaping inside and heating the whole thing red hot. Melted the tailgate on my work truck a bit too...

I guess that's what you get for not reading the instructions... :yikes:

... I'm not convinced butane is very useful in freezing conditions ...

We're on the same page here, although you can dunk the cylinder in warm water. You just need a source of warm water... :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mate, it wasn't even mentioned in the instructions, I had to email Gelert asking why it had happened.

Apologies for being a little harsh the other day, while we're on the same page.:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just wanted a tiny wee lightweight set up for himself going camping next week that didn't leak meths or paraffin :D

Thanks for the heads up about the propane though :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice 65 are you sure that this is the same set that you're talking about....we've just had another look at ours....what wee copper tube ??

cheers,
Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mine was the Inferno version of the stove, with peizo ignition. Leave it with me and I'll try and find some more info. I still have the burned out one so could do some pics if it helps.

Be worth an email to Gelert maybe?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We only had a quick play with all the bits for five minutes this afternoon, and a wee quick looksee after I read your post. The only canister we had at hand was one of the long tall butane ones from one of the suitcase stoves, and it was more a, 'how the hang does this fit?', kind of a playabout.

Haven't tried the wee lantern yet; very cute though :)
Could always just be kept for the v.occasional powercut I suppose.

cheers,
Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Looking at the Inferno, the burner head is quite wide with a larger area of gauze than the Intensity. I can't find the original specifications for it, or the email from Gelert, but it does look as if yours doesn't have the pre-heat rod so is probably ok with propane mixes. I think it's probably the wider head that made it get so hot.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Nice65 :)
I've had a read, and the packaging on mine does say for threaded butane canisters, so maybe they've taken your example to heart :dunno:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE