Heads up. Ton of decent silnylon tarps and shelters half price.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Anyone got a SilShelter? Looks good for £50 but would like to hear any opinions.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Indeed bud. Think would be much better than my siltarp1 for bivi :)

I liked that little tarp, but think I need a bit more coverage if its raining. Was thinking I could use the inner from that Chinese knock-off tent I got with this as a fly.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I liked that little tarp, but think I need a bit more coverage if its raining. Was thinking I could use the inner from that Chinese knock-off tent I got with this as a fly.

Yeah I think it's a bit too small for when it's really coming down. Great for a quick overnighter when no reports of any wet weather. Love waking for the view though :)

I'm thinking either the Siltarp2 or the Silshelter for me.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Tbh though I've just been checking weights and for those weights of the Silwing/Silshelter I would sooner just take my Trailstar if going for more coverage. The Siltarp2 looks the better option if wanting to go lighter with less coverage.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tbh though I've just been checking weights and for those weights of the Silwing/Silshelter I would sooner just take my Trailstar if going for more coverage. The Siltarp2 looks the better option if wanting to go lighter with less coverage.

How much are the Trailstars?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got the Silwing yesterday and see that the seams are to seal. Now I assume that its just a time consuming job that takes up a fair bit of space so the manufacturer would rather its done by the customer. They supply a little tube of silicone to do it and I would rather do it myself than pay the extra cost if they did it.

Thing is... The silicone they supply isn't half thick and its not dead easy to apply as thin as I would like.
Now I'm pretty sure that I've read (and seen youtube vids) that people thin it down with low odour white spirits?

Anyone done that and what ratios?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just mix it until it's thin enough. The point is not to creat a film over the seam "tape like" because silnylon stretches and it will "tear" the silicon. What you want to do is saturate ther seam and the thread holes so water can't sip through.
Also this:
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mcnett-silnet-silicone-seam-seal-77510007
is much thinner and very good if you need more in the future.

Just got my siltarp :D

Well that was a lot better.
Put the tube of silicone into a placky bottle, fired some low odour white spirits in there, shook it up well.
Painted it on with a watercolour brush. Far better than the thick stuff that it was when supplied.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
The "thick stuff" is good for one thing. On my tarps there is a hanging loop right in the middle. If you wan to make a tarp tent that's where the end of your treking pole goes. So I left a nice "patch" of the undiluted silicone there for abrasion resistance. Looks nasty but really does the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE