Heads up, Sawyer mini water filter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
was about to pull the trigger on 2 but i get customs charge of additional 6.22 making the total £37.31 not bad for 2 still but they is also a risk of additional charges plus i will have to sell the other probably not worth it, should have gotten in earlier

There is no risk with Amazon of additional charges. Its more likely you will receive a small refund on their import charge estimation. Ive ordered dozens of things from amazon.com and ive never paid a penny more than they took up front. Ive also found if amazon dont charge the customs deposit ive never paid a customs fee.

I have however paid import VAT on items marginally over the £15 limit from other retailers so the under £40 thing is not a good guide. China is a different story though. When i was running a retail business i had to beg them to declare the correct value as they always put item values below the threshold :D

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
even if i do im still probably paying rrp plus its been the top of my must have list for a while now

barethrills:

i dont think duty is an issue on goods under £135 i think it was (cant find the page now) not from uk end anyway just the vat+ handling fees

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
quoted from hmrc http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

All other goods

If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you:

don't have to pay Excise Duty
may have to pay Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
will have to pay import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i dont think duty is an issue on goods under £135 i think it was (cant find the page now) not from uk end anyway just the vat+ handling fees

Yes that is correct. Only import vat and handling. Amazon refer to it as customs deposit. As its prepaid you dont have to pay parcelforces processing fee. Amazon effectively act as the UK frontier and customs agent all in one.

Also check out dutchwaregear.com. dutch sells the sawyer mini for $20 and his postage is reasonable. I think its $7.95 from memory. But dont blame me if you get hit for fees :D

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
My filter arrived today, and I am impressed, I have only been able to test it with tap water so far, but the filter is really simple to use, the thread works on my Ortlieb 4L water bag, and to boot, it even got rid of the plastic taste that four days filled with vinegar and baking soda failed to shift. I am not certain why it filtered the plastic taste or if it may only be the placebo effect, if someone else with one of these filters and bags, and who notices the plastic taste, could test it and let me know, I would be grateful.

And I didn't get any customs, VAT or post office charges.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE