Heads up, Mora robust for 2 for £20

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
After a little work they can look like this, mirror finish.
I'm well pleased with them, as for using the back of my knife with a firesteel I don't as I prefer to use the scraper it came with then put it away in a safe place.
Morarefurb001.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I just bought the what looks like the same knife from clas holson but with grey handle, the knife blade and spine were perfectly finished and flawless. No rough bits. £9.99, doesn't have the mark of the mears but, even if it did it wouldn't make me cut any straighter, very pleased.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
hmm i wonder who just nicked 20 quid out of my pocket!

after looking at the spine it looks almost as if the blade has a coating of some kind on it possibly just for the mirror finish but the spine is uncoated maybe for the fire steel any idea what the coating is and why it is there? this is if it is even coated???

if your not sure what im on about than look at dwardos pic

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You could use either an oil stone or some wet and dry paper, I started it off with a small fine file, finish off with a piece of wooden batten with a leather strop and some stropping compound.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well mine have arrived and I'm more than happy with them. I've seldom picked up a knife that has felt so right in my hand, now all I need is some spare time!
The spines on mine just show the witness from being punched out, which will always be more pronounced on thicker material, because the punch & die need more clearance to be able to work without jamming. I may pretty it up sometime, but it's not a big deal to me.

Dave

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Aren't the spines of all Moras unfinished? My 510, clippers and robusts are all like that.

Ditto. It's the nature of the beast. Personally I don't care one jot - I don't buy £10 Moras for the fit and finish, I buy them to use. The same goes for Hultafors (which to my mind are just as good, but even cheaper!). These are work knives, not show pieces.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ditto. It's the nature of the beast. Personally I don't care one jot - I don't buy £10 Moras for the fit and finish, I buy them to use. The same goes for Hultafors (which to my mind are just as good, but even cheaper!). These are work knives, not show pieces.

I dont disagree if it were a standard mora. Uncle Ray sticking his 30 year aniversary logo on will mean that people do buy them as gifts or for part of a collection and that being the case they should be finished properly. My companion is pefectly finished on the spine.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I dont disagree if it were a standard mora. Uncle Ray sticking his 30 year aniversary logo on will mean that people do buy them as gifts or for part of a collection and that being the case they should be finished properly. My companion is pefectly finished on the spine.

Spot on mr thrills!!
I am a bit disappointed too, cheap or not this is my first mora knife and after reading how good they are all over the place so far my first impressions are not good.
Plus the very tip of one of my knifes is bent and also neither of them are very sharp.
But for £10 each I almost feel ashamed bein negative about it!!

Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well i have to say they arrived, i opened them, i fell in love and there is no way they are going back. Feels perfect in my hand so ill be getting the fine mesh out and using them for myself. Giving gifts is overated anyway :D

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Well i have to say they arrived, i opened them, i fell in love and there is no way they are going back. Feels perfect in my hand so ill be getting the fine mesh out and using them for myself. Giving gifts is overated anyway :D

Lol, fancy finishing mine off for me too?? ;)

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Plus the very tip of one of my knifes is bent and also neither of them are very sharp.

Well, I don't have a problem with a 'rough back' on low cost knives, but a bent tip is a problem, and it's not usual for a Mora to arrive blunt. I've owned at least ten, and they all arrived very sharp. I'd have a problem with one that didn't, since it impacts the usefulness of the tool. I reckon an email to the retailer might be in order.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Well, I don't have a problem with a 'rough back' on low cost knives, but a bent tip is a problem, and it's not usual for a Mora to arrive blunt. I've owned at least ten, and they all arrived very sharp. I'd have a problem with one that didn't, since it impacts the usefulness of the tool. I reckon an email to the retailer might be in order.

Tbh that's what I thought, but feel a bit stupid on a 10 quid knife. I may yet show it to a more experienced knife man because it may just be me expecting too much for a cheapo knife!!

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I dug my Robust out after reading this thread - mine isn't one of the Ray Mears jobs, it came from Heinnie's. I was surprised to find that the spine on mine is 'finished' - as in quite smooth, and not rough like all the other Moras I've had. Is it possible that the Woodlore ones are different in some way (other than the logo)?

I tried to take pics of the Robust next to a Clipper, but my cheapo camera and flash meant it was impossible to see the spine for the glare!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE