Heads up for old school sleeping bag lovers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Dutch...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item2ea8f1a344

I have just found this while surfing ebay:- Dutch 58 pattern sleeping bags in supergrade condition.

they look pretty good for the money. I wonder what the difference will be between Dritish 58 pat bags and these Dutch versions.

Anyone here know?

I presume it will be build quality as all the modern kit I've used is much better than the British equililent. A good example I could use would be the Dutch issue roll mat.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Dutch...Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item2ea8f1a344

I have just found this while surfing ebay:- Dutch 58 pattern sleeping bags in supergrade condition.

they look pretty good for the money. I wonder what the difference will be between Dritish 58 pat bags and these Dutch versions.

Anyone here know?

I presume it will be build quality as all the modern kit I've used is much better than the British equililent. A good example I could use would be the Dutch issue roll mat.

I've got a couple of those under the stairs somewhere. I'll have to dig them out :)

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I looks like a bargin.

I've never actually used a down sleeping bag, as I use to think of them as old fassioned and inferior to modern synthetic bags. So for all of my camping I have used synthetic bags, I am now however contemplating the 58 pattern bag as my first incursion into this "world of down" as they are reletivley inexpensive and I wouldn't be too bothered about abusing it.

I have seen other members posts mentioning their fondness for these bags and that they are pretty heavy for lugging around but if it keeps me toasty when its freezing on the hills then it would be worth it.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've used the german sniper bag 'the one with arms' and the 58 pat one and there is no contest. The British 58 pat bag is superb. Had it up at Loch Etive from Friday till last night and it was toastie warm aven though the weather was crap. The german one , I used to use when doing delivery trips on yachts all over the worl as it was waterproof and I could steer the boat and grab anything nearby in case of emergency. It's a good bit of kit but nowhere as warm as the british bag 'same as the dutch'. The thing to remember is that sytnthetic is lighter it will not keep you warm when wet. Where as down will retain it's warmth. At the end of the day, I found that it's best to have your limbs inside the bag next to you in order to keep warm, having them at the outer ot the bag doesn't keep the heat in. One and only problem with the 58 pat bag is that I'm 6'1" and it's a bit too short, there is a long version though. Cheers, Davie

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Remember the down may have degraded over all those years,unissued or not!
They are not always as warm as they once were!
C da C.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Real down is way superior to anything synthetic. Down is not so moisture sensitive as some people believe. The only downside is the ethical. Down production is in most cases extremely cruel to the poor geese.

The earliest account on the down bags superb qualities I know OTOH is Hemingways appraisal of them in 'For whom the bell tolls'.

Depending on storage there may not have been any degradation, but count on it. Most modern day bags are filled with siliconised down, a process that makes the down even less sensitive to moisture, but is regarded by some as making them somewhat less insulating.

Carry a 700 gram down bag with a bivvy or a 3 kilo 'bomb proof' synthetic bag in green? Hmm, tough choice... Oh, did I mention a down bag lasts at least 10-15 years, where as I have had synthetic bags go thin after just 3?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I bought a new unissued Dutch '58 bag a few years ago. Only difference I could find compared to my issued one years ago was the labels, which are in, er, Dutch.

Good bags. Slept comfortably in a hammock in it down to minus 6 and I am a cold sleeper. The waterproof base makes it useable with just a poncho. In my TA days I was never cold in it despite many wintersin the northeast of Scotland.

They are heavy and bulky compared to a modern down bag, but very well made and robust.

Anyone here know?

I used to think they were different but those pics look very familiar, I might be mixing them up with the sleeved ones. Only niggle I've got is that the down can work through and if you've got black or dark clothing, you'll regret it. Not had problems with comfort of the feathers sticking through, just the appearance in the morning :)

I've got some arctic bags here as well and sometimes I wish they had the full length zip of the 58 pattern. I can appreciate the insulation reasons for a half length zip though.

As for the Dutch sleep roll, they are much better than the British one, apart from the fact that they are just a fraction too narrow. I prefer to sleep on my back and find that my elbows and arms are now levered further back when on the ground, so I sleep on my side. Minor niggle that is overcome by change in habit.

I think I'd want to get my grubby hands on one before handing over money, just to make sure there aren't any salty tide marks inside.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I agree that they're good bags and for forty quid they're a steal! I bought a long '58 pattern sleeping bag from Silverman's back in 1992 and it cost me ninety quid!!!!

Only issue I have with them, is that they do tend to have a distinctive "aroma" even when new and clean.

I wonder if the Dutch ones have the tape and poppers on the foot end of the bag for attaching the '58 pattern poncho?

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Does anyone have any experience of wool-based sleeping bags? I've recently switched to a wool duvet as the feather one aggravates my respiration when I'm under the weather. The wool is heavier but nicer somehow so I wondered if it's practical for sleeping bags?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

they look pretty good for the money. I wonder what the difference will be between British 58 pat bags and these Dutch versions.

Anyone here know?

58 Pattern Bags are very good. They were made by Chealsea Quilt Co down in Barnstaple N Devon both for the MOD and the Dutch MOD...

I was issued with one and used it for a few years until we got the 90 patt replacements which were not as warm IMHO.

I would say that if you are trying to compare a 58 patt bag with any relatively modern civvy down sleeping bag then you're comparing apples to pears. The 58 patt fill has a very large percentage of feathers to down so while it is very warm it does not compress very well and it's heavier than a civvy bag by quite a large margin the waterproof bottom and the general squaddie proof construction don't help either the weight or compressability.

As I said I found them to be warm and in the long size good for my 6'3" frame. A good choice for a first bag IMHO

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I decided to go with the 58 bag but didn't get on with it, so I want to flog it on.

I Have tryed to start a threat in the members classified but it throws me out every time I click on the new thread tab.

Don't know why as I am a Member and can post in all the other forums. Is the members classified section down at the moment?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE