Heads Up - Cheap E-Reader

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
TBH talking from a pure IT Geek perspective, the Kindle kicks the Nooks ****, then takes the nooks girlfriend out for dinner and drinks.
It's cheep but there is a reason for it being so, it supports faff all, battery sucks, it has issues with the UI and to be honest it's not as nice to hold.

Having said that, I still prefare paper books. Don't get me wrong I love my kindle my mum loves hers and the fire but I have lots of technical books I tend to need to slip back an forwards with, and I also just like the feel of a book over any e=reader. For example at the moment I have 3 technical reference books I am using and data spread across them that is best saw in one place infront of you to see just why I have messed up, or explains it better as on single visual medium. And I have 1 ebook on my kindle a fiction on the go at the moment but it's one I am picking my way through in 15 min spurts of lost time, but the paperback I am reading is a book I can't wait till I get a hour or so to my self to read or try and make time to do so.

I duno if it's some way I buy a book, i.e. if it's £X I want the physical copy or I wont buy the digital one for £X, but I personaly feel I have found my happy medium when it comes to ebooks and paper books I want to read, having said that Ellens got me tempted with one she has done... Ellen I want Oak Man is it published yet??

EdS

except the Nook supports ePub - more or less industrial standard for ePublish except Kindle books- so all the open source stuff is accepted natively. It memory can be expanded via SD card - rather nice if you want a load of PDFs etc.

And you can Root a Nook as it runs on Android - all be it an older version. So you can run Apps which is not possible for a a Kindle

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just got an email, they cancelled my order with a full refund - out of stock due to unprecedented demand. Offering me £5 off the glow version @ £69's.

Not happy.

Reverend Graham

Life Member
Jul 2, 2012
Grimsby
I got the same refund story, smells a bit like it could be part of a scam to get you to buy the other, :confused:

Would be interested to hear if any one got one. If you follow the original link, they are still on offer.

Rev G

Last edited:

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I preffered the nook due to epub support, but for those of you interested in a kindle I got this email this morning from SVP, one of the offers is for a Kindle 4th generation for £45 + shipping. These are ex-demo, so caveat emptor. They also have refurbished android tablets for a good price, just avoid the Arnova, it is a piece of junk.

http://www.svp.co.uk/product.php?product=AMAZON-D01100

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE