Heads up Aldi, Nice Torch

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers for the heads up Gaz

That's nearly as bright as my Fenix at a quarter of the price, might have to pop in for a couple :)

May 28, 2005
D
Have one of these. Here in Germany they were sold in spring. It has a 3 W CREE LED. It´s very bright and it has a focused light which is not so clean round like the ones on more expensive torches.
I like it.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
At 132 lumen, its slightly more powerful than a Q3 Cree led - not bad for a tenner.

Lidl also seems to have some interesting stuff coming up. They've got some running stuff starting on the 4th October, which includes wicking tops ( the last ones I bought from them was a bargain for £5.99), and soft shells for £12.99.

Polecat

Sep 28, 2010
London
Sounds pretty good; Ah, what would we do without our bargain Aldi and Lidl finds... Unfortunately not near a Lidl anymore, but might make a trip to look at these.
Cheers!

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Got one at lunch time.

DSCF0399.jpg

the top one shown next to my 15yr old AA Maglite & Led Lenser P3.

Very nice solid torch, well made and very bright. Runs on two AA batteries (supplied).

Only gripe is the on/off/flash switch is by turning the front section left or right with a center off, the switch isn't very positive and could easily get switched on in your pack.

DSCF0400.jpg

(The marks on the bezel are from the sticky warning labels)

Need it to get dark so I can try it out fully:rolleyes:

It also comes with a Nylon case.

Not bad for a tenner and it has a 3 year warranty.

Richard

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I bought one of the torches today, but I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Its well made, but there is a gap between the front of the torch head and the knurled part where the switch is , and its got glue in it, which is not the greatest craftsmanship. The switch is a pain, and really easy to click on, even when putting it in the pouch.

On the other hand, its slightly brighter than my Romisen Q3, although its actually a Q2, and fine for upgrading relatively cheaply from an old incandecent. If you have a drawful of cheapish brights, your not going to miss this one. Frankly, its not £10 your going to be able to spend on a Fenix.

The insulated trousers are good , although the padding on the inside does make you feel a bit like you've wrapped your legs in a barbour gillet, and its a bit noisy, thanks to the teflon , but great for when the snow hits. The sizes are not clear, but a medium is about a 32-4 waist (and there are elastic straps to loosen and tighten), and a 32ish leg.

I gave the thermals a miss, but a set for £8.99 is a good deal, and quality was pretty good.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all i bought one of those torches today the switch isnt as tight as i would like i will sort that out otherwise agood buy regards dave

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Dave53 -
the switch isn't as tight as i would like i will sort that out
any help on how to do that? It looks like the thing is glued, and although I want to tighten it up generally, I don't want to knacker it either. If you do sort it out, please post how, it would be really helpful.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Dave53 -
any help on how to do that? It looks like the thing is glued, and although I want to tighten it up generally, I don't want to knacker it either. If you do sort it out, please post how, it would be really helpful.

Same as Old Bones here.

I picked one up on the way home, impressed with the structure and its certainly bright on my walk around the house on a very dark evening.

If that rotating on off can be sorted I would do it as I think its the only downside.

Also, will ask here first before going onto another thread, but what is the "strobe" on these type of torches really all about? Why do they have it?

ATB
Dave

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've had a look at mine this morning, got it apart after a little messing about.

The switch is part of the head assembly and the ident for the off position is built into the head assy some no easy way to make it better:(

Richard

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I'v just ordred a few O rings, I reckon one of the right size sitting in the groove behind the head assembley will seriously increase the friction betweent the head and the body making it less ready to turn so freely.

If it works, it will be a K.I.S.S. fix. If it doesnt work, I will have a few O rings :)

I'll keep you posted

ATB
Dave

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I've just fitted a small spring and 2mm ball bearing in mine so it now has a very positive off position.

Pain in the back side to do and you have to carefully strip the head down to do it, but now its ok.

Richard

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Now that sounds good, no pics at all?

ATB
Dave

Here you go.........

Torch in bits. Carefully unscrew the body out of the back of the head - DON'T hold the head by the knurled part as this will damaged the switch:nono: hold it by the bit with the on/off signs on;)

MVC-001F.jpg

Once you've got the head off remove the wavy washer then remove the circlip that hold the head together and it should split into two parts.

I then worked out were to put the ball bearing and carefully marked it, then drilled a hole for the spring and BB to fit in in the back half.

MVC-002F.jpg

I then just drilled a small indent in the other half.

MVC-003F.jpg

Then carefully put it all back together.........

On word of warning is the lever that operates the switch is plastic and needs to be in the correct position before reassembly.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE