headlight: tikka XP or EOS ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i have been watching and searching for a new more powerfull headlight for awhile. After lots of searches and stuff i end up with 2 good headlights to chouce from. The Petzl Tikka XP and the princetec EOS. They are both powered by a 1 watt luxeon LED, both have selectable mode's, both are about the same price. But one has a diffuser and a boost mode, but is unregulated. The other has non of that, but IS regulated and more water resistant. (dunkable)

does anyone has experians with these headlight or advice ?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a tikka and it's ok... I have seen one of the more powerful Petzl ones in action and I like it... where have you seen them and what kind of money are we talking about?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well I curently have the Tikka Plus (4LED) and was comparing it to the new single LED high power + diffuser model last night while loading the canoes back onto the cars in the dark.
I am very impressed, the diffuser works really well giving a good spread for walking/working and the beam was good enough to reach the tops of the trees.
It also has 90 degree rotation, so can point at your feet, which my friend says is great for cooking.
I have owned petzls for years, and the LED ones are fantastic. As we know battery life is brilliant, AAA batteries are easily sourced (compared to lithiums etc) and the units have proved ultra reliable, which includes the odd quick dunk.
I'd certainly buy the new XP.
I have no experience of the princeton tech ones so cannot compare. What batteries does it take ?

Cheers
Rich

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I have both the Tikka Plus [4 led] and now the XP .

I have to say that the extra cash the XP cost is well worth it. As per the previous entry, the beam is excellent for distance work, and the diffuser is great for camp work. There are 3 power settings plus a flashing option. There is also a high beam option, where the output is a factor brighter whilst you hold down the button.

My only niggle is that the on/off button sits a bit proud, which lends itself to being actuated when in the kit bag. I have trimmed this now.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
the new tikka XP and the EOS is for sale on some local ( dutch) outdoor chains. the price hovers somewhere between 45 and 50 euro's. AFAIK both of them use 3 AAA's,

I used to own a Petzl Zoom Zora and i still have a Petzl tikka, I like the compact size of the tikka, thats why the tikka XP and the EOS is on the cosideration list. The Zoom is just HUGE and HEAVY !

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeah I still have a zoom kicking around somewhere, It was the dogs 'nads a few years back, but never that reliable - just as bicycle lights of the same era :rolleyes:
LED's are fantastic you will be pleased with whichever you decide on.

Cheers
Rich

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I recently lost my Petzl Zipka clone and relaced it with an Inova 24/7. About 50 quid in the UK but half that from the US via ebay, including the detachable head band. Uses lithium cr123 battery, robust case (choice of yellow or olive), clips to headband or clothing.

I like it:

2 intensities of white light (80 hour battery life on the lower setting)
Red light option to preserve night vision.
Can be set to flash like a strobe, or to continuosly signal SOS.
In beacon mode it gives a red flash every few seconds - 15000 hour battery life on this setting.

It is much more robust and versatile than the zipka.

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
I have a Petzl Myo XP, which is the "big brother" of the Tikka Xp. It's an excellent light, i really like the boost button, which works from every brightness level. You can use the light on the lowest, economical mode, and when you want to observe something, just push the boost. Relesase, and the light is again on the previous (low) mode. Boost works even when the light is off, serves as a momentary switch-on. The lack of regulation is the only thing I dont like in this lamp, but I can live with it. Im sure in 2006 there will be a Myo XP SP2, with power regulation :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE