Busted Petzl Tikka XP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Recently my Petzl Tikka XP head torch has started playing up. The boost button doesn't work properly any more sometimes I press it and the full beam stays on for about 20 seconds instead of only the amount of time you press it down for. Also very recently I've noticed the light is staying on very dimly for about 5 minutes even if the unit is off.

I've noticed it has a three year guarantee but I have lost the receipt is there any likelyhood Petzl will replace it?

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Probably they will replace it mate. Just send it back recorded delivery stating how old it is etc and see what they say. Nothing to loose. :)

I've had mine for about 4 years and never had a problem, and it gets used 2 or 3 times a week in quite rough saltwater enviroments.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Petzl have offered to take a look at the headtorch and repair or replace it even though I don't have the receipt any more, how nice of them!

Thanks for the advice scottishwolf. :You_Rock_

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Petzl's English arm (Lynx) sent me a replacement Tikka XP today, this was despite me having lost my receipt and not knowing where I'd bought it from, which in my mind is brilliant service. My only one gripe is that they sent me the Tikka XP red instead of the black version. But I guess I can't really complain!

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Thats fantastic service, really good to hear positive outcomes like this - Petzl are a brilliant brand and it must be rare for their kit to breakdown, well done on getting a replacement and well done petzl

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
A quick note to all of you with Petzl headtorches. If something does happen to your torch and you need to send it back, ensure you remove any 'LITHIUM' batts you might be using with it. Petzl recommend not using them with their torches as it can damage the LEDs. However as long as you remove them there is no way of knowing if lithium batts have been used, thus not voiding the warranty!!
This came from a petzl rep I was chatting to.

And yes your right, they do have excellant customer service.

ridge rover

Oct 7, 2008
Nashville, Tennessee
Gabe is right, Petzyl is touchy about using Lithiums!

After some recent unexpected trail hiking at night, I looked into headlamps for trails. What I found was the Myo RXP which uses lithiums. I have the XP which is fine for camp, but the run time is too short for me on a longer trip. The design of these two lights of going from spot to flood is very good. Its useful if you are on a mountain trail where terrain changes.

Allthough I haven't used the Zebralight, it didn't seem too reliable, I saw too many clickie problems. It only had one beam which I didn't like, but I do like my Fenix and O-Light torches!

Now the RXP is more expensive than the XP, but if you are on a rocky overgrown trail at night, it might be worth a few more dollars!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE