Hbob Stove - Technical Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I have a few hobo stoves made from Ikea Cuttlery drainers with a section cutout at the bottom for fueling. I've had mixed results - I think type, size and dryness of wood makes a big difference.

However, as I read more about it, the "Classic" design seems to be a paint tin with 3 holes at the bottom front and 3 holes top back. Then once the pot is put on air is drawn in the bottom, through the fuel and out the top back - it seems this is a highly efficient way to burn fuel. The ones I keep seeing either holes drilled all over the place (in a row around the top for instance) or are made from a tin already full of holes (like the drainer).

What I'm wondering is, if I get a tin just with holes bottom front/top back will it work better or would it be much the same? Logic seems to dictate that drawing air in at the front, through the fire and out the back with the pot stopping escape through the top is actually incredibly efficient.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Holes at the front/bottom and back/top work much better that lots all over.

Bottom holes into the wind for a fast hot burn, top holes into the wind for a slower simmering burn.

This method produces much increased efficiency as you dont lose the heat as much as you do with a drainer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE