Hazel bowdrill.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hazel hearth had a lovely habit of letting the drill slide into the notch for me before I got a coal.

Hazel on hazel is on the more difficult end of the spectrum but not as bad as oak on oak. There is no wood that has never worked for someone somewhere.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I learnt with a hazel spindle on a Red Cedar hearth.
From the sounds of it, your spindle is fine, its your hearth thats causing the heartache.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I've tried hazel on hazel a few times now and still haven't managed a coal from the combination. Hazel drill and any one of elder, lime, ivvy or sycamore and I can normally get a coal in next to no time.

Cheechako

Apr 1, 2007
Bridgend, South Wales.
I've been learning the bow drill using hazel on hazel, have been getting lots of smoke but no embers. Sounds like I need to try a different hearth....
Was struggling to get enough grip on the spindle when using paracord, found two cords running next to each other improved things.

Cheers,
Dave.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
What wood works for one person may not be as good for another most of all for those still struggling with bow drill every thing has to be right > for those who get smoke but no ember it could be you are not bowing fast or long or hard enough the notch in the hearth may be to big the sring to loose HAVE A LOOK AT BOW DRILL MADE EASY ON THE DIY TREAD I use Willow on Willow for the hearth and drill

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I have successfully managed to get several fires going with an all hazel set-up.
The best time was when I found all the components on the same hazel 'tree' :D
Look for some overstood hazel (in other words something that has not been coppiced for at least a decade. For the bearer and hearth I used a section of thick standing dead/ seasoned hazel pole about 2.5 inches diameter and split it down the middle, then I looked for a living rod with a natural curve for the bow. Lastly I used a straight section of the same seasoned pole from nearer the top where it was half-three quarters of an inch thick for the drill. It was a dry summers day which undoubtedly helped. Good luck

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm no expert with a bowdrill but I've found that Hazel drill on an Ivy board works for me, I can usually get a coal in next to no time.:cool:
But I have recently been informed that a Hazel drill and Lime board are a very good combination, although I haven't tried this yet due to the severe lack of lime trees where I live.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE