Hazel arrows

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a few arrowheads so Im going to try to make some arrows.

Yesterday I got some Hazel wands...but they are not straight, and indeed taper a bit.

Can I thin them down?

If I strap them tight to a plank will they dry straight? How long will this take? and do I need to remove bark first??

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I have a few arrowheads so Im going to try to make some arrows.

Yesterday I got some Hazel wands...but they are not straight, and indeed taper a bit.

Can I thin them down?

If I strap them tight to a plank will they dry straight? How long will this take? and do I need to remove bark first??

Hazel can be straightened easily enough.

I'd let them season a bit first, thin enough for an arrow would season in 3 months (usually a year for a walking stick). Once the wood is seasoned-ish you simply heat the bit you want to straighten (over the embers of a fire, gas ring, electric heater, rag cover the stick and then doused in boiling water etc) and apply a little counter bend, work your way along the length heating and counter bending as you go, until the desired degree of straightness is achieved.

Once straight enough I'd pull the wood through sand paper to thin them, the bark should come easily enough, once seasoned, with the sand paper

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have only played with this but had success with removing the bark and warming over a fire then correcting by hand, gently.
Without the bark and in a dry room away from direct heat they will dry in no time. You may get the odd one check and crack but the majority should be good.

Its an art in its self arrow making, more so to get arrows of the same spine (bendyness) and weight so that you can have some kind of uniformity.
I cheat and buy in Port oxford cedar shafts, about £1.90 each.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE