Hawthorn variety help

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hiyah,

I know that Hawthorns can be very variable in size of berry and I usually pick either Common or Midland Hawthorn) but I was out today picking as usual hawthorns to make some turkish delight and I came across a larger tree with bigger, fatter berries on it, the leaves were not similar to the normal, smaller berried hawthorns I pick and had a more serrated edge and were hairless on underside. Leaves were still quite small and unusually leathery and the size of the fruit and the the leaves reminded me more of a Sorbus / Service / French Haw (without the furry under leaf that quite a few sorbus's have). The other thing was that there was not a single thorn on the tree.

Any idea what variety of haw it is?

IMGP4680.jpg

IMGP4681.jpg

IMGP4682.jpg

IMGP4683.jpg

IMGP4685.jpg

IMGP4686.jpg

IMGP4688.jpg

IMGP4690.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's an American variety called Thornless cockspur that has been used for public plantings. It might be that or some mix ? I'm sure the fruits are larger too.

cheers,
Toddy

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks Toddy. Hmmmm...it might be but found 10 metres set back from an ancient Devon ridgeway beside a gate. Its not an ancient tree though and the ones around it are the more diminutive and smaller berried sort. Mind you...the pip could have dropped from a passing bird. Will keep looking at my guide books but nothing strikes me so far.

LBL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE