Hawthorn leather revisited

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Following this year of strange weather, late spring, heavy rain and heatwaves, the fruits around here are huge, plump and juicy.
So after foraging various nuts and fruits today, I collected a couple pounds of haws.

I've been munching on them for days as they are far juicier and plumper than previous years.

usu6u6ap.jpg

ega3u4u2.jpg

This time around, I didn't need to add any water to the mulch, I simply used my hands and a piece of muslin to strain the gloop through.

The goo is drying out at the moment, but this time it'll be dried fully. Last year's attempt resulted in semi dried leather which quickly went mouldy.

5a7y6ety.jpg

8u2a9y8a.jpg

yjebunuj.jpg

6yha2e2u.jpg

Looks about as appetising as a Jews ear.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll follow this with interest.

I have frankly never found a single thing worth doing with haws

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
I've just made a batch of hawthorn leather as of yesterday for the first time, very pleased with the results! you can definalty imagine our ancietors preserving vitamins in this way for the winter. I'll maybe try again with a modern twist and add ornage zest and juice :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Look forward to it!

I've tried leather and wine and allsorts. None taste great to be honest :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love to hear of success chap - I just leave all mine for the birds now, so a useful recipe would be great!!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
OK. The leather is done. The top surface is very dark, the bottom is ever so slightly lighter. It looks terrible.

After a couple of hours in the oven

u6ehe7ed.jpg

This morning after spending about 12 hours at 50°c in the oven it had shrunk down into several different pieces.

u6ygu8y9.jpg

It feels like malleable plastic, it will roll without breaking, and is slightly spongy.

zezu2u9u.jpg

pydu2a3e.jpg

I would call it a success. The initial taste isn't unpleasant at all, there is a slight sweetness to it, but there is a very fresh pleasant aftertaste to it. Rather like young hawthorn leaves in spring.

Don't be fooled into thinking this will satisfy a sweet tooth. It won't, but I would happily eat this as a snack.

This is definitely something I will make again, but only because I'm lucky enough to live in a property with 50 PV panels on our roof giving us almost free electricity, I would dread to think how much this venture would have cost in electricity having the oven on for over 12 hours.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Slow cooker ? Small ground oven under a weekend camp fire ?
Well done for sticking at it :thumbup:

eggs shouldn't dance with stones.....

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use haws and make jelly from them which we like very much - all depends on taste I suppose. Our haws are very good this year too. Can't afford the 'lectric to do the leather though :). Am about to go hunt up some sloes to go in the freezer before the local human gannets strip the bushes !!!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
If I make this again I'll use sugar to sweeten, maybe add a few apples and blackberries too, and cook them down first. I wanted to have the haw flavour using semi traditional methods.

A ground oven would work as long as we could have the temperature right, worth giving it a go for sure.

Good luck with the sloes Ellen

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This is definitely something I will make again, but only because I'm lucky enough to live in a property with 50 PV panels on our roof giving us almost free electricity, I would dread to think how much this venture would have cost in electricity having the oven on for over 12 hours.

Around 12 to 16p an hour, so about £1.44 to £1.92. :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just tasted this.....it's improved since he first tasted it.....like a proper fruit gum . Highly recommended:thumbup:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Just tasted this.....it's improved since he first tasted it.....like a proper fruit gum . Highly recommended:thumbup:

Definitely improved after little time. Very sweet now, I'll keep it in the cupboard and try it in a few weeks. It's definitely something I will be making again now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE