hawthorn jelly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, that has put paid to the idea that there could be regional varieties! I think it is fair to say that hawthorn fruit leather is the devils' toe jam!

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Glad i found these posts tonight, thought maybe I'd done something wrong, maybe picked dud haws or dried it out wrong, but I have been a victim too. Bland apple taste, bitter, tough and resembling bog rolls and cricket bats. But there must be a bushcrafty way of making it taste better even if it means adding something from the shops ie. adding glucose powder to the liqid or once dehydrated maybe imerse in sugar/water solution and dry out again. Perhaps i'll write to Heston Blumenthal he'll sus it out.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh there is a definite way of making it better, that is throwing it into the nearest hedge and vowing never to try something so ridiculous ever again!

I was dissapointed. I really wanted it to be nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE