Hawking/Falconry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Spent yesterday learning about Hawking/Falconry the art of hunting with a bird of prey.It was a wonderful experience(and the wife paid) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Some of the birds handled included Harris Hawk,Sparrowhawk,Saker Falcon and Bengal Owl.
Clayton

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
On Crufts last night it had a bloke who used Hungarian Wire Haired Vizlas (dogs) to put up prey for his imprinted Bald Eagle to hunt. I thought when i was watching it that it would be a great skill to master to hunt with birds of prey and dogs. :cool:
Please tell me more about the course.

Cheers in advance.

StormWalker

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I thought that on crufts was pretty amazing, with the Vislas and eagle, wow.
Every year we have a bird of prey demonstartion at out Green Fayre, it's done by Cheshire waterlife, and it always ges down well with the public. The birds are all on display when not working as well, people can go up quite close to them, an the eagle owls always have this great look on their face when a little dog sneaks past..........he he he!
We also have a few guys that come up an fly their harris hawks on the park, but we cant allow them to hunt, Council Rules an all that :nono:

mark

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
One of the instructors said he would be willing to give me individual instruction I am certainly going to take him up on the offer,this would be a great skill to have.Something I have always wanted to do but never got round to doing it.
Clayton

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I saw crufts and those dogs amazing,but I am sure that I read somewhere that the British Hawking Association do not agree with this practice(using dogs and birds hunting together)I will have to see if I can find it on the net.
Clayton

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I am not too fond of this sport. Was ok when people where farther between. Today the demand for these birds threaten the existance of the predator birds in places where there is no tradition for this activity. For instance Norway.

Torjus Gaaren

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Torjus,
I do not agree with any sport which includes the killing or maiming of another animal(Fox hunting,Hare coarsing,Badger baiting etc).Even hunting whether it is with a firearm or bow is a sport I do not agree with.But I do believe that if my life and families relied on me gathering food by killing animals I would have the skill to carry this out as when I was younger I hunted with both these weapons.Now falconry is a skill I have longed to learn since I was a child,I did not know it was a sport,I know now that some do participate in hawking/falconry as a sport.But I look at it another way as a conservation issue.There were raptors all over this country,not so now, if I progressed into Hawking as a hands on interest it would have to be with a bird that naturally inhabited my locality.
Clayton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE