Falconry day (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This might just as easily go in Out and About, or even photography, so if a mod wants to move it, that's fine. I've put it here because most of the pictures are of birds.

Anyway, my wife and I booked a falconry experience day on friday, and I thought I would share a few pictures.

We booked with Hawksdrift falconry, in mid Wales, and our host was Layla, who apart from being an excellent falconer in her own right also has a claim to fame for being a successful contestant on the Dragon's Den programme, for those familiar with it. The day actually took place at Nanneth farm, north of Rhayader, in the Wye valley.

First up we flew Olivia the Barn Owl, in a series of short hops from person to person along a beautiful riverside stretch of the upper Wye valley.
7671475082_b8b7fdb139_z.jpg

Tracy and Olivia. Tracy had specially requested an owl, and Olivia was her favourite bird of the day.
IMGP1927.jpg

A meeting of minds. Well, two birdbrains, anyway...:rolleyes:
7671471390_38a7495803_z.jpg

Then we took a stroll futher along some tracks with Layla's favourite bird, a Harris Hawk called Hope.
IMGP1931.jpg

Hope liked to explore. You never know, there might be a rabbit about somewhere...
IMGP1937.jpg

"Got an 'arris 'awk on me 'ead, guv", or "What the hell is this thing I've landed on now?"
7671468364_0f7f14a778_z.jpg

After a break for refrshments we went out to a field behind the farm and Layla flew Midget, a Lanner falcon, to a lure, and Tracy got to feed him afterwards. Actually, first Layla had to go and retrieve him after he flew off with the lure to another field in a burst of enthusiasm. His dive to the lure was fantastic, as when he folded his wings up he was coming straight at me and the speed increase was amazing.
IMGP1960.jpg

Our host Layla and Midget
7671465112_5a2b19675c_z.jpg

Tracy feeding Midget
IMGP1945.jpg

Finally we went up to the top of the hill with Spark, a Peregrine cross with a Gyrfalcon, By this point conditions were less than ideal from the falcon's point of view, and it was hard work for the bird, so Layla kept it brief, again flying him to a lure. When you have a peregrine hurtle out of a dive and go speeding past your foot just inches from the ground you realise that this is indeed the fastest living thing in the world. Layla said if conditons had been better he could have gone much quicker, which frankly is astonishing. I got to feed him afterwards.
IMGP1958.jpg

7671560086_4f0f278ec9_z.jpg

'Mantling' over the lure after catching it
IMGP1967.jpg

See, fat blokes can get a gorgeous bird on their arm sometimes :rolleyes:
7671461346_aae6afeb28_z.jpg

The one bird we saw, but didn't fly, was Monty, a Gyrfalcon (Greenland falcon) crossed with a Saker falcon (a desert bird). Amazing looking creature. Apparently Gyr have very poor immune systems, so are usually crossed to prevent them succumbing to infections. A cross with a Saker can only be done artifically, so this is a rare crossbreed, and is Layla's main publicity bird.
IMGP1962.jpg

Tracy and I had a fantastic day with some superb animals. If you've never had a falconry day, I strongly recommend that you look up one near you. We now have some wonderful memories.

Thanks for reading.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Good post and some great pics ,looks like you had a good day out ,,,i have a bird of prey centre just up the road from me going to have to visit it some time soon

Cheers

Jason

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What a fine looking specimen, the bird of prey looks OK too!

Great pics thanks for sharing.

Yeah, when we were looking through our pictures that evening, Tracy looked at one and said
"I see you got the bird in focus, but not the falcon"

Thanks all, it was a fantastic day start to finish, and the farm where it happened allows wild camping too, according to their website. Definitely worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE