Hawk handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Which wood would be good for hawk handle other the hickory?For hatchets and axes here in Croatia ash,hornbeam and beech are commonly used,but would those be of any good for hawk?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I have alwaysed used Hickory myself but would have thought that ash will be ok.Can i ask what is the problem with using hickory as a handle?

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
There was not the problem.Yet.The other day when I was throwing Rifleman˙s suddenly occurred to me "what if haft get broken".Order a new one is not so good idea-shipping would cost more than new hawk,so I decided to ask for advice.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would say ash would be great.
By the way I visited Croatia last auttumn and I love the place - I am going to be visiting again in April - Kayaking, rafting and walking in the Paclencia(sp?) National Park - fantastic country!

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
In the US hornbeam is called Ironwood and is used for a variety of tool handles, and an aquaintance that does american fur trade era recreations suggested making a spare handel from it when I showed him my tomahawk.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I would be interested on how you plan on fitting the handle as I will need to do that with mine. Especially on how to get a good tight fit.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I have some experience in hatchet handles,although it`s whole different method of fitting.Unlike for example walnut ,which once dried is very stable,hornbeam "works", it seems to me, forever.Just when think it`s,at last, dried and settled five hot dry days and axe head is loosen.We fix it submerging axe head in water for a few hours.But I don't think it would work on hawk.For hawk˙s handle is more lighter,longer,delicate,then hatchet`s,and under more stress,and repeatedly submerged and dried areas eventually rot.And axe haft is not much expensive or hard to tiller every few years .So I plan to dry wood ,rough shape haft,dry it slow again in dry and airy place,then shape it to fit firmly an then submerge in linseed oil for week.Linseed oil swells the wood and does not evaporate.And it protect it.Or to buy some hoe haft and skip drying,just tiller and some final drying.That is my plan if thing breaks-and I think it will,for Rifleman`s is very heavy and I˙m not very good thrower.With hawk.Hatchet throwing works better for me.But have to learn both.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
John Fenna I would say ash would be great.
By the way I visited Croatia last auttumn and I love the place - I am going to be visiting again in April - Kayaking, rafting and walking in the Paclencia(sp?) National Park - fantastic country!

If any help need while you`re here,please do e-mail.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE