having a go.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Going to give that ago, I still have about 10 litres of home made vodka to play around with. one request do not let Mad Dave anywhere near the skittle vodka!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
SWMBO uncharacteristically gave me a bottle of Stag's Breath for Chrimbo...RESULT!!!

RE Vodka I have had good results from liquorice sticks chopped up and steeped in spirit for a week , shaken twice a day ,
then decanted.Very good with tonic.
Skittles are good.I was disappointed with my last batch of Wine gum : tasted nothing like wine! :evilangel:
Cheers , Simon

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I was given a large ceramic/pottery jar many years ago (apparently called a rumkopf) which holds about two litres and I use twice a year for this type of alcohol.

Normally start one in June to be ready for Xmas, generally brandy and last year it was with crushed blackberries, apple and a small stick of cinnamon and went down well with the family, work colleagues and for a few camping trips! :D
January I decided to try a vodka with around two punnets of raspberries, a chopped lime and some sugar.

Stir it all about once a week and as said below strained through coffee filters to get rid of all the bits.

I have done this in the past with several jam jars with the same results, the benefit being you can just just them a little shake now and then.

The only problem with the whole thing is making sure I don't "sample" too much whilst it doing its thing! :D

Cheers, Hamster

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I got given a large ceramic jars (apparently called a rumkopf) some years ago and use it to make this type of alcohol twice a year.

Normally do a brandy that I start around June ready for Xmas, last year it was blackberry, apple and a small cinnamon stick.

January I decided to try a vodka for the summer which included about two punnets of raspberries, a chopped lime and some sugar which should be ready for June and the BBQ season!

I tend to give every a stir about once a week and the biggest problem if not "sampling" too much whilst it's fermenting! :D

I have done this in a load of jam jars too which is quite handy as you only need to give them a shake now and then to mix everything up!

Would highly recommend anyone giving this a go as you can play with flavours and create some really unique tasting drinks.
One tip is if your googling how to make some of these ignore what they say and go really easy on the sugar as my very first attempt some years back tasted like a shot of alcohol with a syrup mixer - still drank the lot though! :D

Btw sorry if this posts twice, my first one disappeared somewhere into the interweb!

Cheers, Hamster

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
well im drinking mine and it is superb. Waited till the sweets had disolved then filtered off the wax, gave it two more days and the flavour is superb. just like vodka lemon and lime but neat :). Cheers for the heads up on this Karl & Martin

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm drinking Karls ;) and its wunderbar!!! Top prezzie, matey, the orangey flavour absoutely rips :) I have Eldest hanging on a promise for the recipe =D

EDIT It actually took a lot shorter time than you reckoned didn't it... as soon as the sweets dissolve, you're good to go, right?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE