Haversack, Knapsack, Ditty?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I wondered what people were using for a low-tech looking daybag nowadays. I have a couple of lightweight 15 litre bags but they come from outdoors shops, and they look like they do. Overly specced, usually in man-made materials, too many pockets and zips and straps and so forth.

But, you know the kind of thing I mean. Simple, light ... collapsible too, so as it can spend some of its time in another pack. I have seen one or two things around, but none of them quite get there. Also, I thought I’d see a lot more old military stuff. But seems not.

What do you use?

Here’s some:

Frost_River_Summit.png

Fjallraven_foldsack.png

Frost_River_Knapsack.png

Ditty_bag.png

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I make most of my bags. I tend to like smaller shoulder bags or a small ruck sack if required.

I recently picked up a Millican Smith rucksack and I must say I am impressed by it. I did get a Millican Nick shoulder bag, but have just sent it back because the shoulder strap was to short and I could not have replaced it.

These are two I made and use the most.
83762858b69710f5651ea8f54a2a73ae.png

2f0fe18343bd4b4269dfc6da69b7b11e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That's a Frost River Summit pack ... and too big I think. I thought it was 20L, turns out to be 30. Nice though

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’d give Peto of this parish a nod, my good lady uses her shoulder bag often. He makes lovely one off items in waxed cotton, canvas, leather.

Billy-o

Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Being ill-disciplined, I am looking for something that can hold my phone, notebook, sarnie, water bottle, hat, gloves, super compact little waterproof jacket, shades and a bitsa bag (also maybe a merino tee) - and absolutely nothing else ... no room to add any 'just in case' items :lol:

Doesn't need any organization, but, a plus would be some attachment points to tie a jacket on. Though I can probably figure out a little mod

Last edited:

Billy-o

Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Typically, I can't hold a traditionalist thought in my head for more than a day or two. So, I am surprised to find myself still looking for something of that ilk. But, I am also equally un-surprised by the fact that I have gone off on a tangent again.

Here's three I am currently looking at that sort of straddle a modern/traditional divide. In particular, the Hyperlite Daybreak is vexing my credit card.

Black Diamond Creek 20. Twenty litres. Very simple. Very tough. Rather trad. Maybe too big, but versatile.

Black_Diamonf_Creek_20.png

Hyperlite Daybreak. Seventeen litres. A cuben enterprise which is robust and weighs less than scotch mist. Not cheap though. No, not cheap at all. But, very lovely. Noisy too. But in a comforting, reassuringly expensive way, I would imagine. Has the exteriority that the others don't, which is good if you want it. The other two are essentially climbing packs, and meant to be snag free as well as able to shrug off bumps and scrapes.

Hyperlite_Daybreak.png

Patagonia Linked 18. Like the Black Diamond; an exceeding tough item, though with rather better organization. Eighteen litres. Got Patagonia written on it large clear letters in case you forget.

Patagonia_Linked_18_L.png

They are all in the ball park for lightweight, ten to fifteen mile bimbles. All in black too ... for stealth, you know, sneaking up and suchlike.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE