Have I just invented something....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Maybe I just don't understand what defines bushcraft as opposed to hiking. I don't think there is any philosophical difference between hiking (long distance backpacking) and bushcraft. Both strive (in theory) to use the minimum of gear, and to utilize wilderness skills instead. For me personally bushcraft does not require that I use gear from the past century, so I make no distinction between the two. I travel through the woods to get where I need to go, or to hunt, etc. I use certain wilderness skills (bushcraft) to help me do that.

The differences come in the application. These days bushcraft has moved quite a bit away from this minimalistic approach. It is not uncommon to see people going on bushcraft trips with packs larger than their own bodies. I think in some way we have altered the use of the word "bushcraft" precisely so that we can apply it to activities that do not involve hiking. I think it's a game of definitions at this point. If you define bushcraft as an activity which requires that I wear natural materials and construct natural shelters, then necessarily it is not going to be compatible with hiking. If on the other hand we define bushcraft as a set of wilderness skills, then it is completely compatible with hiking, and is done all the time.

Add to that, the activity we performs will largely govern what gear we carry and what we use. If you in fact want to cover distance, or have to cover distance (limited water sources, climbing a mountain, limited food supply, etc) then that will greatly impact your gear choices. Gear will have to become lighter and more compact, as well as more easily set up. I can't spend four hours each day constructing a lean-to shelter with an axe if I actually need to get somewhere.

Again, maybe I'm just completely off because I have misunderstood the question.

I think hiking can be seen as bushcraft if you employ outdoors type skills- such as basic firelighting. I've seen lots of people use the land for nothing and carry everything with them so do not use nature based skills to help them. So I'd say hiking an be bushcraft but not all bushcraft has to be hiking (canoes etc).

You seem to have it in for people who use traditional gear, I think that's because you don't quite realise why people do it (I don't speak for everyone). I personally use traditional gear because I'm interested in employing my skills in a historical way. I'm interested in how things used to be done- I guess you could sort of define that as a sort of re-enactment, I do NOT use it to be 'fashionable' or 'bushcrafty'.

Also as for the lean to shelter thing, I certainly wouldn't do it on every trip- no way. But I do it on occasions to practice my skills in constructing shelters for when I might need to make them.

As usual just my 2p :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE