Have a laugh at my expense...baby's first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I'm not so much a baby any more! I started with an oak log - think I'll try something a bit softer next! Yeah I know its lopsided, but I learned a lot ;)

spoon.jpg

Oh I so wish I'd turned out something as good as the piccs of your guys stuff.....

Maybe next time :11doh:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hey, thats really good... nothing to laugh at .... don't worry about it being lopsided, all mine come out a little on the squiff, it shows its hand made ;)

:D
Ed

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
That spoon is cool it looks as if it has come straight out of a nursery rhyme nice one well done

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
g4ghb said:
looks great mate! - can't wait for No 2 ;)

:eek: :eek:

You guys are far too kind - its vaguely sopon shaped at best! I guess I could eat with it but thats it. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started - I guess I expected to b***er it up completely and hoped to find a hidden natural talent. Neither proved true! Like all things I suspect hard work, lots of practice and time are required to get good. I'm always critical of everything I make and can see all the imperfections that no-one else cares about!

Still I'm not disheartened enough not to try again! I suspect the 2 ton woodpile to be kindling and shavings soon! :27:

Red

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
British Red said:
I guess I could eat with it but thats it.

What else were you thinking of using it for? :yelrotflm

I really like it mate, better than my first spoon! You've spurred me on to have another go actually, havn't done one since my first, better get the ol' knife out!

Dan

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Daniel said:
What else were you thinking of using it for? :yelrotflm

Dan

Ermm showing off? :confused:

Holding out to gasps of awe and amazement :eek:

Casually eating with and saying "oh this old thing..yeah forgot my spoon last time out...whittled with a lump of flint" :lmao:

Suspect I'd be better off remembering my spoon ;)

Red

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
British Red said:
Casually eating with and saying "oh this old thing..yeah forgot my spoon last time out...whittled with a lump of flint" :lmao:

Like it, like it. I'll remember that one and use it next time i'm eating with my spoon! :yelrotflm

Dan

My first spoon was perfection itself, a work of art, something no master spoon msker could better..............then I woke up. It was rough to say the least. the bowl cracked the first time it got used, and it was bent like a Lib Dem leadership contender. My daughter uses it as a play thing now. But, I was still proud of it, and had fun making it, so I'll keep at it and make more.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff indeed. oak's not the easiest wood to start with and I'm sure you're right when you said you learned a lot, I've done a few Oak spoons, my second one was oak and we still use it in the kitchen!

Well done and thanks for showing us up :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE