Hatched or herried ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Found this egg (think it's a Mavis' / blackbird) under the ivy covered silver birch.
Anyone know if it's hatched or been herried from the way it's been damaged ?

There are squirrels, magpies, robins, wrens, starlings and the blackies nesting in that ivy too.
Might be others, but I'm pretty sure of those ones.

7076816051_eaa1486336.jpg

6930738386_dc00f70b86.jpg

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
When a chick hatches it normally opens the shell very neatly and symetrically and takes the top off - rather like what results when you cut the top off your boiled egg - leaving two neat pieces. It also breaks the shell outwards. This is anything but the above and suggests to me that it's been predated.

ATB Paul

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
When a chick hatches it normally opens the shell very neatly and symetrically and takes the top off - rather like what results when you cut the top off your boiled egg - leaving two neat pieces. It also breaks the shell outwards. This is anything but the above and suggests to me that it's been predated.

ATB Paul

As Icheumon says... you can see where the shell is broken inwards along some of its edges, plus the holes look like something been punched into the egg like a beak :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did wonder :sigh:

Next question.......magpies ?
I thought they weren't supposed to attack nests in the same tree as their own ?

If I were sure it was them, this is a young pair, not a family grouping, there're hundreds of the magpies around the village, what can I do (legally) to get rid of them ?
Tbh they're a right royal pest in the garden too. They dig up all my planters, they guzzle the fat blocks that I put out for the long tailed tits, they mob anything that moves, including next door's pet rabbit :rolleyes:

Beautiful birds they might be, but I'm trying to encourage the little ones and if these bullies are herrying nests I have no compunction in not encouraging another family of them right on my doorstep, so to speak.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
La Pied are nasty egg robbing murderous **********s

Legally you can shoot them if they are causing a problem within the WCA - and it sounds like they are

THE PURPOSE(S) FOR WHICH THIS LICENCE APPLIES

1. Subject to paragraph 2 and the licence conditions, this licence is granted to:

(i) Prevent serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing

timber, fisheries or inland waters, and

(ii) Prevent the spread of disease.

WHAT THE LICENCE PERMITS

2. For the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above, and subject to the terms and conditions, below, this

licence permits:

(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed at (a) and (b) below, to take, damage

or destroy their nests or to take or destroy their eggs:

(a) Crow
Corvus corone

Dove, Collared
Streptopelia decaocto

Gull, Lesser Black-backed
Larus fuscus

Jackdaw
Corvus monedula

Jay
Garrulus glandarius

Magpie
Pica pica

Pigeon, Feral
Columba livia

Rook
Corvus frugilegus

Woodpigeon
Columba palumbus

(b) Goose, Canada
Branta canadensis

Parakeet, Monk
Myiopsitta monachus

Parakeet, Ring-necked
Psittacula krameri

Best way to get rid of most corvids is to shoot them. They are, I believe also legal to Larsen trap.

If I was closer I would sort it for you

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:sigh: Sod's law, everything needs to eat kind of thing, but I'd rather the blackie in my garden than the magpie.

Thank you BR, we'll see what can be done.

It's early in the season yet, the mavis'll nest again, and maybe if she'll find a more hidden spot this time. I'll hope; she's gotten quite tame since my cat died and I put out food on the grass now that I didn't when the cat was alive.
I know she very rarely took birds, more than enough voles and the like to keep her happy, but I didn't want to tempt her any if I could help it. I actually saw a thrush in the garden last week and was pleased to see it knowing I didn't need to go and find the blooming moggie and make sure she didn't have a go at it.

I miss my pet, but I know the statistics of cats vs wee birds.

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Mary, you said there are squirrels in there too, are they red or grey? If they're grey I'd get rid of them too, because if the magpies don't have the young chicks the squirrels certainly will.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why such hatred for the corvids Red ?

I don't hate them - some corvids are amongst the very small group of tool users and amongst the most intelligent creatures around.

I do however recognise their nature - and Magpies are egg robbing destructive vermin. This is why they are included on the General Licence.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rofl:

re: my comment about everythng needs to eat :rolleyes:

Aye, the squirrels are there too. I refer to them as I chase them from the feeders, and planters (they bury everything from next doors thrown out bread to acorns, in the planters) as thieving, furry grey rodents. Cute wee b8ggers but a potential pest too.

On the whole I let nature get on with things, but our modern society has taken down so many trees and hedges that the wee birds are concentrated in gardens like mine, and that makes them easier prey for the magpies and the squirrels and cats. Sometimes we need to redress the balance a bit.

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
On the whole I let nature get on with things, but our modern society has taken down so many trees and hedges that the wee birds are concentrated in gardens like mine, and that makes them easier prey for the magpies and the squirrels and cats. Sometimes we need to redress the balance a bit.

cheers,
Toddy

Well if you like Toddy, I could pop over & hit them maggies on the 'ead for ya with my newly aquired 'big wooden spoon " :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE