Hat Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Disaster - I've lost my Barmah Kangaroo hat that has been with me a'bimbling for years. I reckon it is hanging on a fence post somewhere in the Hafren forest - hope someone finds it and gets good use out of it.

So - what next? Replace it with the same (it was a great hat) or has something else come along that takes the fancy?

Any ideas, advice, suggestions? As a speccy, I like a brim as it keeps the rain off the lenses for a while longer (but I am culturally and genetically opposed to the baseball cap!)

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I am also a fan of the broad brim, but I sometimes feel that the big Akubra type brim is just too big esp for woods/forest where there is limited light and you want to be aware of whats above you as well.
I am particularly a fan of the broad brim after 3 ops to remove melanoma - it's now doctors orders!
I have an Akubra, a Jackaroo leather brim, mesh crown broad brim and a handful of budget cotton bucket hats. Also a very nice tweed flat cap. Tweed is alsways good in the woods.
I wouldn't mid a Bavarian/Austrian felt "mountain hat" - minus the shaving brush ornament. I grew up in Germany, so I have a soft spot for them. The brims are that much smaller than the "standard" bush hat, and there are lots to choose from.
Trouble is, in UK hat wearers always seem to be viewed as eccentric.....

Stroller

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 27, 2012
London
I find a waxed cotton broad brim hat to be pretty good except for the coldest of weather. Somewhere there is a picture of me in my broadband hat with a beany over the top - but no snow down me neck or on my specs. :).
I do hate when the brim sags. So what I do is get the spring out of the £1 car sunshades that twist down in a figure 8 for storage and slide it into the edging strip of my hat.
It now stands straight out and I look more Mounty than out of Deliverance. :).
I've never like the French Foreign Legion style kepi as the flaps drastically reduce what you can hear around you.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hats are a very personal thing. If that brand worked for you, get another. If you get something else, you will only end up comparing it to your great, unfortunately lost hat, so it will have to be exceptional to not be a disappointment.

Jackdaw

I have a couple of Rogue hats. The 110 and the 127 in Oxblood. I really like them because they have a great shape and are made of good quality leather. Had them for about 2 years now with no problems though I am not an avid hat wearer and will only really wear them in very sunny conditions.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Personally I don't like leather for a brimmed hat. It just doesn't feel right to me. However if you do then obviously getting another would be a very good option.

I have three brimmed hats at the moment. One full on cowboy hat by Stetson but it's not really up to the quality Stetson once was so I couldn't reccomend it. On the other hand, both the other hats are great. One is an Akubra Snowy River which I've had and worn regularly for about 2 years now and the other is a Real Deal Brazil Tarp hat I've been wearing for over 6 months. Both are fantastic. I really cain't say enough about them.

A few years ago I had a broad brimmed waxed cotton hat from Cabelas. Likewise it was a fantastic hat but a bit warm at times.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My first one arrived a bit to large (it was a gift and my Daughter & future SIL had guessed my size) However the staff and service at Real Deal Brazil were wonderful. They exchanged it for me within just days (postal time)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE