Has the bubble burst?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just pondering the current state of UK Bushcraft. Would anyone else agree that the hype seems to be dying off a bit nowadays?
Personally, I don't think its a bad thing. It might deter some of the more stupid people in society becoming interested in Bushcraft and giving us a bad name.

Incidentally, I noticed Natural Bushcraft Forum seems to have no posts this year even.. Did the guy wind it down?

Reactions: robevs73 and MrEd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Although I do go to the wilderness gathering most years. I'm rather unimpressed with the monatarisation of bushcraft. It has become big money business. For me it's an activity that is cheap not costing hundreds of pounds to learn basic skills. As for corporate bushcraft days and stag and hen parties. .... don't get me started!
I suppose we all need to earn a living and what better way than doing something you love. I'm a bit torn on this.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a Bushcrafter who earns a bit of his income from instructing ... last year my revenue was lower than the year before...
I put it down to the weather with folk going to the sea and sand instead of the shelter of the woods!

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I am a Bushcrafter who earns a bit of his income from instructing ... last year my revenue was lower than the year before...
I put it down to the weather with folk going to the sea and sand instead of the shelter of the woods!
I'm not against it. It's just that some courses are well overpriced in comparison to what they teach. It's not tarring everyone with the same brush don't get me wrong. But I have been on one course to further my knowledge and found that they were spending most of the time showing complete novices how to do things and covering basic stuff. I left somewhat dissopointed as I learned absolutely nothing and was left to my own devices as "I knew what I was doing"

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" I left somewhat dissopointed as I learned absolutely nothing and was left to my own devices as "I knew what I was doing"

Well there you are then...You are now ready to progress to Bush Crafter Level 2.

Knock up a quick 'Bush Craft' 3 course meal. Prawn cocktail starter followed by Beef Wellington and chocolate Mousse cooked in your obligatory cast iron Dutch Oven. Video yourself and be sure to call people on your Internet 'phone so that they know you are all alone and surviving in the err wilderness..

You'll love Bush Crafter level 3...honest......

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Do i have to catch the prawns and beef or can I hunt them down in the wild west of the supermarket ? Will that stop me from attaining bushcraft level 3?
A Dutch oven full of choccy mouse! Now you know how to get to this old girls heart!

Reactions: Sundowner

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
There is still a lot of bushcraft stuff going on in these Isles. The thing is it's gone more underground and local, more face book group than Big forums.

Si

Reactions: MartinK9

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Relax, it's a bit like football it's seasonal, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go out if the weather is bad, after all Bushcraft is about survival not putting yourself in danger. Plan, plan for the good weather it's not far off now.

Reactions: Woody girl
I'm not against it. It's just that some courses are well overpriced in comparison to what they teach. It's not tarring everyone with the same brush don't get me wrong. But I have been on one course to further my knowledge and found that they were spending most of the time showing complete novices how to do things and covering basic stuff. I left somewhat dissopointed as I learned absolutely nothing and was left to my own devices as "I knew what I was doing"

I was going to post a thread about how pointless corporate bushcraft weekends must seem to the majority of us on BCUK. To be honest, I have never been on a course. I would probably only consider a mushroom gathering/I.d. Course myself.
My interest in bushcraft has 'spilled over' from an interest in historical militaria and a love of the outdoors.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Dare I suggest there are only so many times you can go to the woods and rig a tarp, make fire, cook something, wittle some wood and gaze vacantly into the distance before questioning why the hell you're there and without a rifle to go hunting!

K
Ummm. Hunting and fishing are part of bushcraft.

Reactions: Sundowner

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE