Has anyone got or tried on of these

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi All,

I have been seriously concisdering making my own smock/anroak lately as an other layer to stop both wind and some rain. I have very clear picture in my head about what I want it too look like and then a catalogue from Swazi of New Zealand came through the door and I found this the Tahr Anorak that almost has every thing I wanted in an other shell.

I known someone out there has one and I would be very interested in an honest opinion. Is it worth the money? or does anyone known of an alternative?

James

PS I will still make my own smock anyway while save.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
James,

I must asy that I have never owned or even worn a Swazi item of clothing. I have looked at them in the shops before and they do seem well designed and well manufactured. Of course there is no way of really telling until you have worn the item in some extreme weather.

I have noticed though that the Swazi jackets are worn by Woodlore instructors. I know this is no recommondation in itself but they are out in all weathers doing bushcraft which must count for something.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for that.

I only got the cataloge too get a better picture of the anorak for my own diy one. Put it seems like a nice peice of kit in it's own right.

I am not really a kit monster and the only gortex in own is my boots but it might just do the job.

James

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
It looks good in lots of ways. My only reservation with many of the products with goretex bonded to them is the durability of the outer layer. I damaged a Berghaus jacket when I managed a minute puncture wound with a bramble to the fabric on the upper arm meaning that it subsequently leaked in rain - 5 hours of continual rain on the "Staffordshire Way" tested it out bigstyle. For activities like shelter building, stick cutting or anything where you are rubbing against branches and brambles I think we have to be satisfied that the fabric is durable. Just walking in the rain, the lightweight goretex is great - otherwise we need to make sure it's protected from potential puncture wounds.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
This was my only problem with it as well, but then I started to think of the enviornment I am in 99.9% of the time I am out thats here in Ireland.

Woodland is spares and were it is it mostly plantations of Pine so close together light barely penatrates. The remainder of the time it out on the open hills. Add to this and other then a few weeks in July/August you mostly have softed days like today were getting wet from sweat and rain are the norm.

I have a Ranger shirt and a Poncho for mouching around the woods but a outer shell for the hills that can fits in with the bushcraft/hundting activaties rather then the high spec mountaineering jackets this one seems to thick alot of the boxs the only thing is the price.

Anyone have any alternatives maybe?

James

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
I don't own one of these, but I've tried them on and I have a couple of other swazi items.

I can say it is a very nice piece of kit, as are all the swazi jackets. I prefer the Wapiti since that has a full length zip, but thats a personal preference. These are pretty popular here and if they handle tramping in the Tararuas, they'll handle anything that the UK can throw at them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE