Has anyone ever built a canoe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drowso

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester, UK
My friend is looking to build a fairly large canoe, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a few books on the subject, as I've been told I'm helping with the woodwork. :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi There
What kind of canoe are you thinking about building wood and canvas , stripper , birch bark ?
Building a Birchbark Canoe by David Gidmark
Canoecraft by Ted Moores

Last edited:

drowso

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester, UK
Hi There
What kind of canoe are you thinking about building wood and canvas , stripper , birch bark ?
Building a Birchbark Canoe by David Gidmark
Canoecraft by Ted Moores

She is going to be using marine plywood. It's going to be quite large for a canoe, which is why I ahve my doubts - supposedly enough for two people and two big dogs.

I'll have a look at those books - thanks :)

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Currently building a Selway Fisher Peterborough take a look at the Selway fisher website -quite a few guys build these as the don't need a form to build them
Definitely look at Song of the Paddle loads of self builders on line there
What sort of dogs are they my mad river explorer is good for two adults and our springer spaniel with loads of room to spare and it's only 15 foot so you might rethink your size maybe
Good luck
Gary

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Being lazy, especially if using plywood, I would build a pirogue instead of a canoe and get on the water very much more quickly. Construction is so simple.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Stitch and glue construction is great.

Be *very* fussy about the plywood. I've had bad experiences with supposedly WBP ply glues failing on boat hatches.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE