Harveys Maps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Hi all. Quick question - any of you familiar with using Harveys maps, rather than the usual Ordnance Survey?

I've just been advised to check out the Harveys series, as they apparently contain additional information not present on the OS equivalents (more detailed landscape info, which is meant to be dead handy for the likes of us). Though their contour intervals are 12m instead of 10, which may cause some confusion ...

Anyway. Don't bust a gut over this, just a quick opinion - better/worse/as good as OS? - would be great.

Cheers,

G

M

mick

alright mate

I've used them before in the Howgill fells
Used the superwalker.
The detail shown is quite good however they can be a little misleading (distance looks shorter etc).
not all obsticles are marked however. one good example of this was an area that was supported by the eu (conservation and science i think it was) that was walled off but wasnt marked as part of the boundry.
you can ussually pick them up at the outdoor shows such as birmingham nec etc well below the normal rrp.
hope this helps

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've used a few Harvey maps and like them a lot. Because they are aimed more squarely at the walker than the general user they try to include more complete areas than the OS (which are based on a national grid, not taking walking areas especially into account) and are conveniently water-resistant, although most definitely not waterproof. Spend some time examining them before using them in the field, though, because they are surprisingly different from the OS as I discovered when walking the Limestone Way and crossing from OS OL24 to Harvey's Dark Peak. The differences can catch you out unless you understand how to read them. That's not to say that they are inferior (and it's worth remembering that many of the features on OS maps, particularly the blue leisure related marks, are not accurately placed), merely another way of tackling the job.

G

Ginja

Mick / Kath / Jack/ JFW ... many thanks for your responses. Really appreciate sounding out these kind of issues with you folks - dead useful comments, as always!

I'm now going to get hold of the Harveys series for the Peak District and put 'em through their paces (or is that the other way around?!). Putting in loads of time on my navigation at the moment, hence the thread.

Cheers me dears!

G :)

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Ginja said:
Hi all. Quick question - any of you familiar with using Harveys maps, rather than the usual Ordnance Survey?

I've just been advised to check out the Harveys series, as they apparently contain additional information not present on the OS equivalents (more detailed landscape info, which is meant to be dead handy for the likes of us). Though their contour intervals are 12m instead of 10, which may cause some confusion ...

Anyway. Don't bust a gut over this, just a quick opinion - better/worse/as good as OS? - would be great.

Cheers,

G

Coming from a walking background rather than a bushcrafty one (Hey, its my first post here) I've always found Harveys maps to be great. They have less clutter and unwanted detail than OS maps and are a good deal tougher when used on a regular basis. I also find the colour scheme easier to see in poor lighting conditions.

Cheers,
Simon

G

Ginja

simonsays said:
I've always found Harveys maps to be great.

Cheers Simon, there's seems to be a fair amount of evidence in favour of Harveys here! I'm going to be trying 'em out for the first time this coming weekend - so if I get lost, I have the perfect excuse! (bad workmen and tools, etc ...).

Also, whilst we're on topic - has anyone had a look at the 'new' OS Explorer series? Meant to include all the new access land boundaries, plus "additional details" and "amendments" not present on the existing series - call my cynical, but I have a feeling it's a case of OS cashing in on the right to roam and encouraging us to splash some cash (??!). But they do have brand, spanking new cover photographs ... lovely :wink:

G

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ginja said:
Also, whilst we're on topic - has anyone had a look at the 'new' OS Explorer series? Meant to include all the new access land boundaries, plus "additional details" and "amendments" not present on the existing series - call my cynical, but I have a feeling it's a case of OS cashing in on the right to roam and encouraging us to splash some cash (??!). But they do have brand, spanking new cover photographs ... lovely :wink:

G
The underlying basemap is essentially same as previous maps (with some small changes), they've just added the Right to Roam. Is it cashing in? Not really because the OS were responsible for plotting out the RtR areas and had a duty to update the maps. However, expect very little changes to the actual maps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE