Harvestman and a Gromit, in: "The Wrong Fuel"

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The gromit in question is a tiny alcohol stove made for me by The Big Lebowski out of a red bull can. Worked a treat on the field demo, and I was hooked.

I rushed out to my local Asda where I purchased a travel mug that I cannibalised into a small pot, and some fuel.

Mistake number 1: "Hmm, no methylated spirit. Ok, that white spirit looks like the same stuff. It'll do" :nono:

Got home, took mug to bits, assembled my new stove, and opened the window for a test-firing in my room. That was mistake number 2. My room is about the size of an airing cupboard, and messy.

Struggled to light it, so dropped the match in. When it did catch, it spluttered, and burnt with a much more yellow flame than I had expected.
"Hmm, that doesn't look right" thinks I. "Maybe I should put it out. Nah, It'll be ok"
That was mistake number 3. :nono:

A few seconds later I'm pressed against the door avoiding the huge spitting fireball that erupted, looking at the pot stand glowing red hot like it is about to melt, and seriously wondering how I'm going to put the fire out if/when it falls over. :yikes:

Took about 5 minutes to die down, charred my shiny new pot black, stunk the room out, and significantly failed to get the water in the pot more than hottish. Ho hum. :(

There are 2 morals to this story.
1. I'm a numpty :p. You live and learn, but you have to live in order to learn, and I'm a lucky boy.
2. Before you light a fire, know what you are doing, and if in any doubt, for goodness sake listen to those doubts.

I'm not usually this stupid, honest. :rolleyes:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I blame senility, old age, my wife, my therapist, dementia, and generally being a complete and utter plonker. :togo:

Got to say, it is a great little stove though. :D

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Yes you were lucky, ironic really i saw the results of what a camping gaz stove did to a flat in Bristol yesterday when the stove had been knocked over.
Did you have to change your underwear after your near disaster :slap:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
lmao.... reminds me of a friend who was silly enough to fill his lighter with Airsoft Green Gas...

You get a loverly green flame from decent lighters actually :D

Harvestman you've just made me spit whiskey all over my monitor!
would have loved to have seen the fireball though./

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No loss. I can't stand whisky. :p

The fireball was indeed spectacular, at least 2 feet across, but it look bigger from close up :yikes:

I won't be doing that again.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I think I'll be making you some fabricated red bull undy's next.... Should complement the stove well :)

As far as I'm aware, white spirits are solvent/petroleum distillates based, hence the fireball! http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/WH/white_spirits.html

Methylated spirits on the other hand is just ethanol with some kind of 'hacking' agent like bitrex.

Be safe buddy, but i guess you'll remeber that one now. The internet and questions are wonderful things...

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
erm,.....

this was my 7th can , SWMBO on works do, i was bored,...

IMG00266-20101204-2112.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE