Hardware shop parangs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Went out today to the hardware shop to pick up 2 parangs. Wanted to prepare it for my father's use in the farm :D

Here they are, compared to a Frost Mora

Parangs-1.jpg

The shorter one measures 415mm overall. The blade is 290mm long and 4.5mm thick but tapers to the tip. You can see the forge mark on the blade and it's there's a maker's mark in it that reads "222 LEE SHENG". Makes a nice ringing sound when you tap it :p

The handle and sheath are rubbish! Handle is a piece of plastic and the sheath is made from some sort of soft plastic and the belt loops held in plade by 4 bend nails and 2 rivets. The weld's stitching have already been cut through when I look at it in the shop. That's the 2 items I have to change and then re-profile the whole blade.

Parangshort-1.jpg

The longer one measures 675mm overall. The blade is 545mm long and 4.5mm thick but tapers to 3mm at the tip. Less forging mark on this one and is marked with something that looks like "222". Dull sounding "tug" when tapped.

The handle is plastic and looks like the tang was heated and pushed into the handle. Should fall off after a little bit of usage :rolleyes: Will have to change that to wood and drill a hole in the tang to hold the handle in place. No sheath on this one.

Paranglong-1.jpg

The thing is.... they are RM15.50 and RM15 respectively. With the current rates, that's less then GBP3!! Now that is value for money :D

singteck

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Nice - i'd be game for one too (as long as you promise to say I have had it ages...... ;) ):lmao:

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hmmmmm....

I will be in Penang in November, I wonder if they have hardware shops like that around there somewhere? :D

I think you can ge them from any hardware shops but might not be from the same maker.

Singteck,

You can get traditional parangs in Sabah from blacksmiths for 10-20 RM. Carved sheath and all.

Support a traditional trade!!

Don't buy from China!!

Ash

I was trying to track one of those down but I don't go to any of those places. Pick one up for me when you go there Ash!

singteck

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Singteck,

You can get traditional parangs in Sabah from blacksmiths for 10-20 RM. Carved sheath and all.

Support a traditional trade!!

Don't buy from China!!

Ash

sigh.... :(
Sabah is about 1000 miles from where I will be :rolleyes:
Stuart brought me a nice parang, carved sheath etc, but I am almost too concerned about damaging it to use it. I have managed to bend it once already:eek: , fortunately I was able to straighten it again and it still fits its sheath, but I haven't tried swinging it since.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Went and rub down the blade to remove all the scratches and felt that the edge was harder to file then the body. So into the acid bath and out come the surprise.

Smallparanghamon.jpg

This thing has a hamon!!!

singteck

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Chris/Singteck,

I'll get you a parang if you a like but I cannot take your design commisions to a blacksmith as I do not live in Borneo anymore. Its too difficult to make many trips. but I can get an "off the rack" one easily enough.

Singteck will you bring it to Chris when you go back and see the kids?

Unfortunately, I fly off in a couple of hours and can't do anything on this trip.

A Malay style parang is shown in my post in this threadnext to the Mora.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17312&highlight=parang+Iban
Got it from a man on the slopes of Mount Kinabalu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE