Hardshell jacket headache

I have been looking for a decent waterproof jacket for about a year now. Currently I decided upon ME Morpheus jacket as the best pick for me and am saving up for it. Yet I have heard many opinions. People saying that poundland plastic poncho is enough for Scottish Munros or Mountain Warehouse 50 pound jackets do the job just right. What do you think? Are you pro gortex, or is eVent a must? etc. What do you use?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well you can climb in almost any gear, but decent breathables make it more pleasant.

I've found three-layer goretex to work perfectly well, as long as I refresh the outer hydrophyllic stuff (nikwax etc) now and then.

Expensive gear isn't *essential* and many people find that they can remain safely warm in stuff like pertex and pile (buffalo gear or similar). It's all down to your preferences. Personally I like wool clothing next to my skin and a lightweight windproof layer on the outside - my montaine fleece+windproof layer works well. But then I'm a cyclist and used to exercising while soggy.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
a lot of it is down to personal preference. some folk are happy out in the hill with just a cheap shell that keeps the worst of the wind and rain off but sacrifice the breathability. Others swear by the latest modern fabrics, claiming the increased breathability and reduction in weight is imperative.
Me? i'm somewhere in between. get a well made jacket, that is above all comfortable. don't be led astray by all the bells and whistles that many jackets offer. there are plenty of good quality breathable fabrics out there now that are as good as goretex for a lot less.
i alternate between gentile in winter and a 15yr old north face jacket and have never been uncomfortable in some truly awful weather.
if you aren't fashion conscious, try and find last seasons stock, way cheaper and just as effective.
Oh, and my good lady is currently looking at Paramo and i'm pretty impressed as well (but can be warm in the summer months).

rg598

Native
Well, like mrcharly said, you can climb in just about anything, and people have. That being said, the right gear will make things much easier. To chose the right gear, you first have to know how you plan on using it. The more you push yourself, the more the gear starts to make a difference. If just walking about on a weekend trip, just about anything will do. If you want to do some serious climbing up those mountains, then you need to chose more carefully in terms of weight, compactability, durability, and fit.

I use an Arcteryx Beta SL jacket. It is light at about 11oz, it is very tough, which I need for when I am scraping against rock or glacading down, the hood is helmet compatible, the pockets are harness compatible, and it has good closures. It is a GoreTex jacket. There is no magic there. It's just a lightweight, strong, and well made jacket.

There is no overall perfect jacket or perfect material. Figure out what you want to do, then then get the shell that best fits that function. The easiest way to do that is to look at what people who do similar types of trips are wearing.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
If your just padding about the woods look for an army Goretex jacket, less than £40 new.

Exactly. The new lightweight (gore paclite) version can be had for about the same price if you look around. It screws up to the size of an orange, has pit zips, is very lightweight and breathable, and has handy pockets on the arms that don't interfere with a rucksack. The downside is that it has no hood.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have been looking for a decent waterproof jacket for about a year now. Currently I decided upon ME Morpheus jacket as the best pick for me and am saving up for it. Yet I have heard many opinions. People saying that poundland plastic poncho is enough for Scottish Munros or Mountain Warehouse 50 pound jackets do the job just right. What do you think? Are you pro gortex, or is eVent a must? etc. What do you use?

This is currently also being discussed over in [thread=12416]this thread[/thread].

I have used various different breathable jackets, and am fed up with them so am now saving up for some Paramo.

What I will say about the cheaper stuff, consider Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice. If you are buying a 70 quid jacket every 1-2 years, then you within 5-6 years the Paramo will be more cost effective. The stuff seems to last a lot longer than any other jacket I've come across, apart from of the equally priced goretex stuff.

Julia

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
This is currently also being discussed over in [thread=12416]this thread[/thread].

Julia

I think that may not be the thread you meant ;)

I love the idea of Paramo - how it works and their ethical business practices but it just isn't built for me, wish it was though. I'm more of a montane cut except their trousers which are too short or too loose around the waist, oh well I should eat more pies I guess :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Bought a Montane Further Faster jacket earlier in the year and so far i'm really really happy with it.

It's kept me dry for 2 days of non stop rain, breathes really well and although it's certainly not lightweight it's really too heavy either compared to many other rain jackets at 454g.

Sizing is a bit funny so i'd strongly recommend trying one on before buying (goes for any other jacket though).
I'm pretty broad shouldered and the arms and chest was too tight on a large for me, so i went XL instead.
XL is a bit baggy round the belly, but to be honest i don't mind that.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Yet I have heard many opinions. People saying that poundland plastic poncho is enough for Scottish Munros or Mountain Warehouse 50 pound jackets do the job just right.

Honestly? Disregard EVERYTHING these people tell you, about anything. If you intend to be in the Scottish mountains year round, you need to get the best clothing you can afford, our weather can be vicious and unforgiving at any time. Try out a few different makes and models, cut and sizing varies a lot. I have a Berghaus Mera Peak and 2 Keela Munros, as well as a couple of other gore-tex jackets and I'd use the Munro on Munros.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Check the Keela ranges out

Interestingly, when it came to deciding what to do for my next waterproof jacket, I decided to consult those who tend to have to depend on such gear in appalling conditions - Search And Rescue teams. Of those members I asked, a few MRT, and a lowland rescue SAR team, they use two manufacturers of clothing: Paramo, and Keela.

I have a Keela jacket, have had it for nearly 14 years. It's not exactly waterproof any more, but it's still more waterproof than my 2 year old TNF jacket.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
MRT and SAR personnel generally wear what has been issued to them, or what they are mandated to wear, rather than through personal choice.

Yep, and I believe they may also receive sponsorship for these items. *BUT*. They are also not likely to use something just for the hell of it.

Julia

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Soft shell and a poncho, ventilation and waterproofing and a mini tent if your crouching! Goretex and event clogg soon after use I find, you can wipe the dwp off and is susceptible to heat and then you have a very expensive and possibly leaky sweaty waterproof. There is a reason people and armies are following the example of native tropical people (depending on the type of Goretex you have)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE