Hard to survive on hartkeks??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I have recently lunched using a sober hartkek (military biscuits?) meal and have found that it seems to drop my blood-sugar-level at the end of the day.

I feel really weak then, and it is hard to keep my hands steady.

This seems strange to me, because when eating less (for instance a sober water diet) this doesn't cause this effect at the same level.

Has any one of you have an explanation for this?

Bob

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
BobFromHolland said:
I have recently lunched using a sober hartkek (military biscuits?) meal and have found that it seems to drop my blood-sugar-level at the end of the day.

I feel really weak then, and it is hard to keep my hands steady.

This seems strange to me, because when eating less (for instance a sober water diet) this doesn't cause this effect at the same level.

Has any one of you have an explanation for this?

Bob

What's inside these biscuits, shredded cardboard? Clearly a non-digestible or low calorie meal. Rebrand it and you will make a fortune

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I can give you an unscientific explanation....

Hartkeks, in common with Biscuits AB and Vegetable Crackers (depending on your country of origin) are designed to be eaten as part of a daily ration.
They're supposed to be the "bulk" item (to make you feel full) their "nutrition", such as it is, consists very largely of fat.

This is why the "powers that be" are so insistent that soldiers eat the entire contents of their ration packs, not just those elements they like. None of the items are supposed to be eaten solo.

It's like a concentrated little object lesson in balanced eating.... Sort of.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Thanks for the replies :)

I could have guessed the biscuits wouldn't be sufficient to survive on for a week, but the package brags about giving you approx 500 kilo calories per pagage.
Well to cut it short: at the rate I am working on (at the office) I thought this would be plenty to get me through the afternoon.

It seems to trick your body into an other 'mode' that burns away your energy quicker than it would have if you hadn't eaten it in the first place.

Just like a you shouldn't start a long distance hike with an up-hill sprint, because then your muscles burn at an other energy source that ruins their performance on the rest of the days walk.

Cheers!

Saskia

Mar 2, 2006
The Netherlands
I can imagine that you are feeling weak after a day on hardkeks.
They are not easy to digest, because they are made to make you feel full. When you have lunched with hardkeks, at the end of the day, your stomach had worked hard and probably continues doing that although your stomach is empty. That's what makes you feel weak.

Drinking more water could be a solution for this. Then digestion of hardkeks will be easier. Also more small meals in stead of 3 large meals a day could be a solution for this problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE