Happy Yule

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Have a Cool Yule Y'all

winter20solstice0di.jpg

Yule - 21st December (archaic form Geola, pronounced Yula):
Yule is the time of the winter solstice, when the sun child is reborn, an image of the return of all new life born through the love of the Gods. The Norse had a God Ullr, and within the Northern Tradition Yule is regarded as the New Year.

:biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jakunen said:
Happy Vernal(?) Equinox everyone!

It's the longest night tonight so enjoy it boys and girls!:naughty:

ERRM, the vernal equinox isn't until march 21st :roll: :eek:):
that's what I call forward thinking :lol:

Cheers,

Martin

P.s. Today is the day I always open my first bottle of Sloe Gin from the previous year :biggthump So it may well be the Vernal equinox by the time I see daylight again. The fire is lit, the sloe gin is on the mantlepiece waiting, So have a great Yule everyone :You_Rock_ I look forward to talking with you all and meeting some of you at Ashdown next year !!!

jakunen

Native
shinobi said:
ERRM, the vernal equinox isn't until march 21st :roll: :eek:):
that's what I call forward thinking :lol:

Cheers,

Martin

P.s. Today is the day I always open my first bottle of Sloe Gin from the previous year :biggthump So it may well be the Vernal equinox by the time I see daylight again. The fire is lit, the sloe gin is on the mantlepiece waiting, So have a great Yule everyone :You_Rock_ I look forward to talking with you all and meeting some of you at Ashdown next year !!!
That's why I put a question mark next to it, I can never remember which is which. Have to mug a druid and ask him.

Hmm, sloe gin...:yumyum: :trink26: must make some sloe vodka...

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jakunen said:
That's why I put a question mark next to it, I can never remember which is which. Have to mug a druid and ask him.

Yeah I used to have trouble but I found one way of remembering was that Equinox = equal night (when night equals day) spring, autumn.
solstice = sun standing still (before swinging back) summer, winter.

I guess it may be clearer if you think of the sun at the bottom of a pendulum. the solstices are at either end and the equinox's are in the middle.

Oh God, I'm not making much sense am I? Quick, pass the Sloe Gin :trink26:

Martin

P.s. I know of at least one druid on this site :naughty:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Happy Yule....Y'all......lol

I've got my traditional "Yuletide Log" on display on the mantle piece and will be burning it for good luck for the year this evening! ! !

Might even take a piccy so you can all see what a rubbish carver I am! lol :eek:):

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
jakunen said:
Ok, cheers for that.

Will any of the sloe gin make it to the January meet? With luck I'lll have some mead ready...

Oh I should think a bottle may find it's way into the bottom of my kit-bag. But there again Gary did say that everything has to be carried onto site, so weight will be a serious issue. Oh well, that will be one less jumper to carry then !!!

I've not made any Mead this year so it will be shop bought this year :cry: But it will be Moniack :eek:):
If anyone is interested at Ashdown, you will be 25 miles away from the largest collection of farm cider in the country. They also stock one of the largest selections of Mead and Fruit wines around :biggthump if anyone wants to make a detour :wink:

Remember folks Drink responsibly Drinkaware

Cheers,

Martin

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I think that's the summer solstice and I seem to remember that being banned back in the 90's after the "Battle of the Beanfield".....where Travellers and Police had a "little disagreement".....

See...I can do subtle! :wink:

They might let a druid or two in there still but I can't be sure! ! !

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
shinobi said:
P.s. Today is the day I always open my first bottle of Sloe Gin from the previous year

I realise that there is a lot to learn from you guys here, but I don't think I'll ever figure out how to keep sloe gin from one year to the next :?:
Tried the loft, the greenhouse etc. but no matter, it still disappears :cry:
Reckon I need to review my circle of friends or find one of those assertion and willpower courses :yikes:
On the other hand perhaps I just dont forage and ever make enough :uu:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
beachlover said:
I realise that there is a lot to learn from you guys here, but I don't think I'll ever figure out how to keep sloe gin from one year to the next :?:
Tried the loft, the greenhouse etc. but no matter, it still disappears :cry:
Reckon I need to review my circle of friends or find one of those assertion and willpower courses :yikes:
On the other hand perhaps I just dont forage and ever make enough :uu:
I'll let you into a secret of mine :naughty: If you have trouble with pesky relatives pilfering your beloved Sloe Gin what you should do is make a dodgy bottle and then offer that to the relatives. They'll think it's grim and refuse your next offer of the decent stuff !! It's easier to do if you make the dodgy stuff the first time you make sloe gin. that way they won't have an idea that you can make good stuff. Any time they stumble over a bottle stashed in a cupboard, they'll go Urggh! and leave it alone. Job done :biggthump

Cheers,

Martin

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
jakunen said:

Here ya go Jakunen !! :biggthump

wheel_of_the_year.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE