Happy to be here and looking forward to learning from you all.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
Hi, I really don't know the expected protocol here but will do my best. I always feel awkward at times like this, never knowing how much to say or not to say about myself. The case being as it is, I'll begin with the bare facts. I'm 56 years old, married, father of five and father to three step children, so I've raised eight. I am a veteran as are my two eldest sons, this colors my world view so I do not engage in politics in venues such as this.
I was born, raised and reside in a small rural community in northern Michigan (U.S.). When I was a child of six I became lost in the cedar swamps while attempting to hunt with a spear that I had fashioned with my pocket knife. I so wanted to be like the other men in my family and make meat. Instead of doing anything constructive, I ended up lost in a snowstorm. I found my way home when I accidently made my way to the river and had the common sense to know that I should follow it upstream. I avoided a huge family disruption and more importantly to myself at that time, I also avoided a whipping. I followed a trapline with my granddad shortly thereafter and over the years I learned more woodcraft from him than I can say. Winter is my favorite time of year with Autumn a close second (no bugs to chew my hide) I started winter camping when I was eleven, with a friend. We took canned food, rope, a tarp, knife, axe, matches and a couple of wool blankets. We had a pretty sparse kit but a whole lot of fun that weekend.
I don't know for certain when I got serious about survival skills &c. I suppose its been part of my upbringing. I did decide as an adult though, to learn all I could about 'bushcraft' or as my Granddad always called it " woodsrunnin' ". I've found over the years that there are always things to learn and that's why I'm here. I enjoy the company of others with similar interests and especially others that enjoy and respect nature and our place in it. I respect those that respect me and am always willing to learn a new skill. I recently learned to make fire with a bow and drill from a young man of twenty five. He was amazed that I didn't know how. I was amazed that he did. Go figure.
I'm looking forward to reading the posts here at BCUK and meeting some more quality human beings. I guess that's all, and I guess, that for some, it's probably too much. It is what it is. Keep your head warm, your feet dry and your ears open.
X

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE