Hanwag boots: to gortex or not to gortex?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Been looking for a new pair of boots for walking the dogs, wearing when helping with D of E expeditions and general outside/bushcraft things. I already have a pair of surplus Altbergs that are comfortable but I have to wear Sealkins sock with them as they leak like a sieve at the front of the boot. I have seen some Hanwag special forces boots for sale and like the look of them. you can by them with either a leather lining or goretex lining. Was wondering whether anyone has experience of these boots and how waterproof the leather lined ones would be if looked after. I live in North Cornwall so it is fairly wet here and they would be worn most days, probably alternated with Altbergs to let them dry. Any advice welcome. Cheers Tim

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I would go none goretex if your going to wear them for more than a day.(That's if you can find a none goretex/lined boot nowadays) Goretex boots take longer to dry out when wet, make your feet sweat and when they are covered in mud etc they won't breath anyway.
I've always found leather none goretex leather boots to be better, as your feet always tend to get wet in the end in serious conditions, and they will dry quicker from your foot heat as you wear them. I always wear two pairs of socks to prevent rubbing and follow a good foot routine at the end of each day to keep my feet in good order. I've just spend 3 weeks in the Borneo Jungle and had no problems with my feet at all.

Cheers

Richie

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Thanks, Richie. I think I'll try a pair of the leather lined ones. The reviews of both types seem to be pretty good. Envious of your Borneo trip, bet that was an experience.
Cheers Tim

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
Hi Tim

Yes it was a good trip. Worth going if only to see the oldest Jungle before it gets logged.

Good look with the boots. I had two pairs of Lowa Mountain boots one goretex lined and one leather lined and the leather were certainly better IMHO so I personally think you are making the right choice. And for the best of both worlds I use seal skin socks where needed as you have already mentioned.

R

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
100% non goretex

once goretex is wet is stays wet, at least with non goretex the heat of your feet walking will dry the boots out quicker and a quick change of dry socks and you are back to normal with dry feet.

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Thanks for the advice.:) Have ordered a pair of the leather lined boots plus the Hanwags wax to treat them. Looking forward to trying them out.
All the best
Tim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE