Hankala Lastu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I went to a knife exebition today and met Jukka Hankala. I bought a lovely knife from him. great service, and I got all the info I needed. His English isn't very good, but he made everything clear nevertheless. Pics to follow. Anybody else have a Hankala?

Michiel

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a Tommi blade that I need to get round to putting a handle on and working with, it looks good and his reputation as a blade maker is second to none. More of a general purpose blade than the carver I was hoping it may be.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Blade:

Forged out of silver steel and scandi ground. A very high scandi as a matter of fact. A very small secondary bevel makes the edge stronger. The blade is 95 mm long.
Silver steel has a 1% carbon content and polishes up very nicely.
If you look closely at the blade you will notice that the cross section is diamond shaped. The back of the knife is rounded. That way you can use your left thumb to use extra pressure. You can’t use it with a fire stick, but who would want to use this beautiful piece of steel on a fire stick?!
Jukka Hankala stamped his name in the blade. Looks a lot better than the “JH” he used to stamp on it.

Handle:

I’ll start with the brass bolster. Polished very nicely and a fit and finish I have never seen on a hidden tang. It’s like the bolster is a piece of the blade.
The piece of curly birch he used is absolutely stunning. I can look at it all day! Dark stained and shaped extremely well. So far I have yet to find a flaw on this knife.

Sheath:

So far almost all my Scandinavian knives have poor to very bad sheaths. When I bought a scandi I always looked for a replacement sheath.
This knife convinced me that scandi’s can come with great sheaths! When the knife is inserted a reassuring click locks the knife in place. The sheath is made out of bull leather according to Mr. Hankala. A wooden liner is inserted to make sure the knife does not cut the leather.
The top of the sheath was stamped a bit, as was the piece where the wooden liner is inserted. The dangler loop is finished with a brass button.

Overall impression:

This is, by far, the nicest knife I have ever owned or even handled. Everything about this knife just screams out quality. The price was very reasonable for a knife of this quality!

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
So these are pics of mine. Really crappy, indoor, lousy Nikon pictures :D
I prefer Canon, but my dad gave me a new one after my mom destroyed my DSLR camera. Now I've got this "Coolpix" camera. God I mis my DSLR :mad:

Hankala&

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Dang that looks nice! Love the puukko blade. The blade in the photos look like you've been playing with it (slight patina developing maybe?). If you have played with it, what are your thoughts on it's edge retention and cutting abilities? Have you sharpened/honed it yet? Mine is still a safe queen so I have yet to answer those questions myself.

Be safe.

NJ

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
That's a great looking knife.
Congratulations!!

I've got a Teho Tommi and a Special Tommi myself, and they're both a joy to work with.
When I dare working with them, that is...
I'm ashamed I often hesitate bringing them along, as they're so nice looking I consider them to be pieces of art.

/ Karl

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I have used it, but the steel polishes up very nicely if you put a little polish on it. Cutting is great. Handled everything. I only stropped it so no real experience on sharpening. So far: best knife I own.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have just looked at one of these HERE thats a nic looking knife

I have a Tommi blade that I need to get round to putting a handle on and working with, it looks good and his reputation as a blade maker is second to none. More of a general purpose blade than the carver I was hoping it may be.

I can put a handle on it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE