hangi food wraps??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
morning all.
i cooked in my first hangi last week... good times.
i was wonderin if any body can recommend the best leaves to wrap my meat in as now i want to go bigger ( leg of lamb i think)
any help would be appreciated. happy days

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
At the moot we use pillow cases - cotton of course
Already a bag and fit a leg in just fine. We put a jointed whole yearling sheep into two last year
Tuck the open end underneath and away you go
If you want to use leaves then burdock is a favorite as the leaves are huge at the moment. Use some nettle cordage or something to tie several around the leg to protect properly

Have fun

Mark

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
hi bushwacker whats a hangi?
regards dave - an underground oven sealed.
i reckon seaweed would be awesome the salt would add great flavour i think.
pillow case eh? how novel have to give that ago. burdock wins i think though. thanks tons

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Another good one, although not exactly wild, is corn/maize husks.
Perfect size for doing pan-sized fish in or you could open them out and use several to wrap up a lamb leg I suppose.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I am glad nobody has said to use silver foil.... I have yet to try a hangi or seen one done for real but would love to give it a go. Hopefully I will see or do one at the Moot, if not before

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I remember seeing Ray wrap a biscuit type thing in what looked like large dock leaves in the Wild Food series. I came across some hazel leaves the other day that were huge, easily bigger than my handspan - anyone know if these would be safe to wrap small food parcels in???

Why do you need to wrap the meat? Traditionally meat is not wrapped in a Hangi. Cabbage leaves or similar are used to line the bottom of the basket and that's about it. Muslin cloth is used to contain the veges, I guess you could use that if you really wanted to wrap your meat.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Why do you need to wrap the meat? Traditionally meat is not wrapped in a Hangi. Cabbage leaves or similar are used to line the bottom of the basket and that's about it. Muslin cloth is used to contain the veges, I guess you could use that if you really wanted to wrap your meat.

Kia Ora Hangi Guide,

Welcome to the forum...

Hangi to me is a specific way of cooking in an Umu and darned tasty... I think the boys above are just discussing generic Umu style cooking. Wrapping the meat might be the way to go in pomgolia...

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE