Handy kit for the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Given the choice of any oil or lotion which can be stored in small capsules...
Which set of three would you want along?
And which set of six would you want?

My sole idea is based on either remedies or just sensible camping gear such as the citronella which definatly has to come with me when I am out anyway, bugs love my sweet tooth.

I have narrowed down to the following for my own preferences but still can't narrow it down any further. What does your experience tell you? And am I missing some blindly obvious ones?

Tea tree oil
Calendula lotion
Arnica lotion
Citronella
Lavendar
Thyme oil
Clove oil
Echinacea tincture

leon-1

8thsinner said:

My sole idea is based on either remedies or just sensible camping gear such as the citronella which definatly has to come with me when I am out anyway, bugs love my sweet tooth.

I have narrowed down to the following for my own preferences but still can't narrow it down any further. What does your experience tell you? And am I missing some blindly obvious ones?

Tea tree oil
Calendula lotion
Arnica lotion
Citronella
Lavendar
Thyme oil
Clove oil
Echinacea tincture

This is a really difficult one to answer, yes tea tree oil, yes clove oil (I have it in my first aid kit), but beyond that I would probably look at olive oil and camellia oil. Beyond that I could not honestly tell you.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
8thsinner said:

Tea tree oil
Calendula lotion
Arnica lotion
Citronella
Lavendar
Thyme oil
Clove oil
Echinacea tincture

Tea tree (antiseptic, skin treatment, anti-insect)
Citronella (anti-insect)

and

Possibly clove oil - but that's a single-use product as far as I know - toothache. Does it have other uses?

But, that's just my opinion - I'm no expert on oils.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
If you can get it myrtle oil [myrtica gale or bog myrtle] is supposed to be the absolute db's for keeping midgies off.

It's possible Boots do it, although I could'nt say for sure

I bet our Scottish contingent can tell us more

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I had not previously heard of the benefits of Myrtle oil with midges, I might consider adding that to test it out if nothing else.

Citronella in aromatherapy is also used for colds and flu relief and on some people arthuritis and aches.

Clove oil can be used on spots cuts and burns, toothaches, and in aromatherapy for respitory problems.

Thyme oil seems to better better for respitory problems and also fights cold and flu, but I added it for the mouth wash use.

I can't choose between them as I have never used thyme oil, I have always a few bottles of clove oil around.

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
I recommend Scotch Ale from the Black Isle Brewery, with added bog myrtle :beerchug:

Never tried bog myrtle for midgies, but it's probably more pleasant than jungle juice.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Honestly?

50% DEET
Neat Dettol
Olive Oil (for Breakfast)

Sorry and all, but you asked for oil or lotions. Genuinely I'll take proper antiseptic and quality insect repelant over alternative treatments every time. I could maybe go for Citronella as Deet is evil stuff that eats your Bergan - but proper antiseptic for wounds etc.

Red

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
8thsinner said:

Tea tree oil
Calendula lotion
Arnica lotion
Citronella
Lavendar
Thyme oil
Clove oil
Echinacea tincture

I'd like to know what they are all for?

British Red said:
Honestly?

50% DEET
Neat Dettol
Olive Oil (for Breakfast)

Sorry and all, but you asked for oil or lotions. Genuinely I'll take proper antiseptic and quality insect repelant over alternative treatments every time. I could maybe go for Citronella as Deet is evil stuff that eats your Bergan - but proper antiseptic for wounds etc.

Red

Tea tree oil is very good stuff Red , I have a lot of trouble with holes in my leg :eek: I use Tea tree oil on it and it heals fast , I have used all kinds of prescribed stuff in the past ( list as long as my arm ).
As for the other oils I have never tried any of them so i couldn't say, I am open to natural products as long as they work . I burned my hand quite badly at the moot last year and I had some tree resin applied to it by Mors I was very dubious when he was dabbing it on and it didn't stop it hurting as he said it would , but it healed up very fast and left no scar which I was expecting.

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
8thsinner said:

Tea tree oil
Calendula lotion
Arnica lotion
Citronella
Lavendar
Thyme oil
Clove oil
Echinacea tincture
I do a lot of bushcraft and have never carryed any of these oils :confused: AM I doing something worng. So I cant see for the life of me why you are carrying all these oils.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Everyone has a different of going about things.
Personally, I get eaten alive by midges so I carry citronella
I have bad teeth so I carry clove oil.
We always get little nicks and scratches so I always carry something for that.
The rest is just because I can.
I like having a few natural basics, thats just my way, when I learn to extract and make my own I will do that, but I am no where near that good yet.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Lavender oil so I can sleep (no one else will as I snore)
Tea tree oil for minor cuts
Powdered witch-hazel for minor bleeding and nose bleeds
Witch hazel and rose water for skin sores and spots (not that I get spots, but it works)
Lifesystems "natural" insect repellent for stopping the flying biting nasty things

pataviking

Feb 21, 2007
ozarks, U S A
um sun srceen spf 15,30, or 50 for the kids. don't want any wierd looking freckles popping up over time. i also think a small tube of triple anti= biotic salve would be good some of them come with a minor topical pain reliever in them which is good for splinter remove bad hangnails and blisters. also a tube tube or package of aloe vera sunburn/ burns lotion might be handy.
Pat

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
pataviking said:
um sun srceen spf 15,30, or 50 for the kids. don't want any wierd looking freckles popping up over time. i also think a small tube of triple anti= biotic salve would be good some of them come with a minor topical pain reliever in them which is good for splinter remove bad hangnails and blisters. also a tube tube or package of aloe vera sunburn/ burns lotion might be handy.
Pat

Hi Pat,
Those are great choices. And a tube of Chapstick for the lips.

Forgot to use sunscreen this year while out icefishing and paid for it big time. :(

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
w00dsmoke said:
Sorry to say this bud, but stick anything like these on bleeding or minor cuts and the body treats it as a foreign object and the whole thing gets worse! :eek:
have you ever used it? no... I've been using it for close on 40 years, I would use it on my kids as did my mother she used it on all her kids. cuts sealed with witch-hazel heal with little no risk of infection, I know I've used it many time.

witch hazel has been approved for vulnerary use in the USA for 12 year. lifesystems use it in it "bite & sting relief cream"
in the UK and Germany there a growing trend for using witch-hazel for sun-burn prevention/treatment.
it has a real history, one that, unlike most drugs today, has few if any side-effects.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Almost all herbs have a real history, all you need to do to see which ones work the best is struggle through the old english in culpeppers infamous writings and compare it to todays herbal reference books.

Aside from that I would rather stick something natural and grown on my skin than something chemically produced.
Don't forget where most of our herbs come from anyway, to use just two examples asprin and opium.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE