Handrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I can do bowdrill pretty well consistently but the handrill is my nemesis iv heard dead blackberry stems are good? Iv tried but they break most of the time inever get heat doing it,but I did get the end of a wooden spindle hot attempting the floating hands method any insightfull tips?

Saulb

Jul 6, 2007
North Wales
I can do bowdrill pretty well consistently but the handrill is my nemesis iv heard dead blackberry stems are good? Iv tried but they break most of the time inever get heat doing it,but I did get the end of a wooden spindle hot attempting the floating hands method any insightfull tips?
Choice of materials is key. I use dead/dry clematis for the hearth and elder for the drill. I cut the elder green, scrape off the bark and dry it. This combination has always worked for me...

You do need to get elder stems with decent wall thickness. A lot of the stems with only a single year of growth tend to be all pith and no wall...

I have also used dog rose for the drill, which also works well.

Reactions: Wildpiper

Wildpiper

Aug 3, 2021
Chattanooga, TN USA
You aren't alone in having trouble mastering this skill. I have the exact same issue. I was told this skill takes much more muscle development. I was told to practice every day for several months. So far that hasnt happened as my job as an electrician doesnt afford much free time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE