Handmade pack frames

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
yes me! I have made a roycroft pack frame (needs to be modified) and reconstructions of otzi the icemans pack frame, Much better! I have used them in spring mountaineering trips with deep snow and great success. Wooden back paniers are quite common in Japan so It didn't even illicit any comments. The bamboo water bottle however....!
I returned them to the mountains when I returned to the UK. However I have been in a building mood recently and have begun construction of another otzi backpack. I was 100% authentic with regards to the wood. However I used modern natural cord (hemp or jute) basically because I don't have enough free time to make metre and metres of cordage. I also used canvas not leather for the pack and modern webbing (seat belt) to keep the costs down. I also adapted the scale as Otzi was shorter than I.
T.J. Elpel's adaptation of the roycroft looks more like the design I went for. Also with any weight in the pack you'll need to put some kind of paddig on the bottom strut. A thick fleece worked fine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a yen to make reproductions of the icemans kit. Do you have a source of relyable info and illustrations of his gear? Titles of books/authors would be apreciated. I am also planning to make a Roycroft and will post how I get on. Any other good designs around?
John

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The only picture I could find of Pierre's pack has been delted :(
The whole trapper Nelson thing looks interesting - if you have more info on that or any primitive pack style it'd be good to see.
Mind you my swiss army rucksack is hardly state of the art but it'll probably be a useful and servicable bit of kit for another 100 years.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Not the best photo, but here is the pack frame. It is made from steamed and bent black ash and moose babiche (rawhide). It is extrememely comfortable when carried using shoulder straps and a tump, and is surprisingly strong and lightweight.

I have a couple of canvas packs (sacks, really) that have ties which can be tied to the frame. One is half the size of the frame - the other is full size. The frame can also be used to tie large objects to. Things like a moose haunch, an outboard motor, or a five gallon water bucket come to mind.

DSC01998.jpg

Reactions: sam_acw

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Thanks for the picture.
The rawhide lashing on a frame looks to be a traditional North American way of making things - I've been looking at pictures of snowshoes, packs and even furniture today!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
sam_acw said:
Thanks for the picture.
The rawhide lashing on a frame looks to be a traditional North American way of making things - I've been looking at pictures of snowshoes, packs and even furniture today!

I was fortunate enough to learn how to bend and string snowshoes from my grandfather. I currently have nine pair. Here is a photo of three more snowshoes for you to look at - one from each pair. Each type of snowshoe has its own particular use - depending on snow and weather conditions.

snowshoes002.jpg

Reactions: torjusg

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
torjusg said:
Pierre

May I be so rude to ask how you bend them into such beautiful shapes? Is it just thinning and steaming? Do you use something to shape them around?

Sometimes I've bent them around trees, but it is best to have a jig if you want them to be consistent.

I've always been tempted to make some furniture, but I have no need for it. Maybe someday I'll get around to it.

Though he strings his snowshoes in a slightly different manner than I do, Gil Gilpatrick has a good "how to" book.

http://gilgilpatrick.com/snowshoe-furniture.html

jerv said:
yes me! I have made a roycroft pack frame (needs to be modified) and reconstructions of otzi the icemans pack frame, Much better! I have used them in spring mountaineering trips with deep snow and great success. Wooden back paniers are quite common in Japan so It didn't even illicit any comments. The bamboo water bottle however....!
I returned them to the mountains when I returned to the UK. However I have been in a building mood recently and have begun construction of another otzi backpack. I was 100% authentic with regards to the wood. However I used modern natural cord (hemp or jute) basically because I don't have enough free time to make metre and metres of cordage. I also used canvas not leather for the pack and modern webbing (seat belt) to keep the costs down. I also adapted the scale as Otzi was shorter than I.
T.J. Elpel's adaptation of the roycroft looks more like the design I went for. Also with any weight in the pack you'll need to put some kind of paddig on the bottom strut. A thick fleece worked fine.

jerv,

I would love to see some pictures of the otzi backpack that you have made - could you please post some? ;)

Phil.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
pierre girard said:

One thing I'd like to point out concerning this style of pack frame - when the cross pieces are bowed, and babiche (or any kind of lace) is used for the webbing - the only thing that touches your back is the webbing - making for a very comfortable haul. Also, lace makes for a much cooler haul in warm weather - than canvas or especially nylon - as it allows more airflow.

PG

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have always thought traditional snowshoes are wonderful things. Has anyone ever come up with a snowshoe tutorial? I would imagine its quite a complicated thing to make a pair but I would love to have a go. I have looked at the modern ones on sale but they all seem to be lacking in character and very expensive. :rolleyes:

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
the bamboo water bottle has returned to the mountains but. I really didn't get on with it. It started splitting very early was uncomfortable and noisy. I'd use leather given the choice. I think bamboo bottles were used when there was more large diameter bamboo and were basically considered disposable.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
fred gordon said:
I have always thought traditional snowshoes are wonderful things. Has anyone ever come up with a snowshoe tutorial? I would imagine its quite a complicated thing to make a pair but I would love to have a go. I have looked at the modern ones on sale but they all seem to be lacking in character and very expensive. :rolleyes:

I'd like to do a pair this winter, and will if I have time. I have all the materials, but getting time is the problem. If I am able to do so, I will take photos of the process and some directions. To lace properly, I would suggest the Gil Gilpatrick book as the process is quite involved, if you haven't done it before. Gilpatrick has very meticulous step by step diagrams. It is overkill, to some extent, and some of his knots are overdone, but it is still a very good book and I use it to refresh my memory every time I make a pair. In a few particulars, my grandfather's methods differ from those used by Gilpatrick, but his method will make you a very good set of snowshoes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0965050734/outriderbooks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE