Handmade Copper Leaves

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Hello..

Following a suggestion on a previous thread to make some ivy leaves, I went out and collected a few to make skeleton leaves from. Whilst I wait for them to be ready to use though I thought I'd try out a new technique, fold forming, that I've wanted to try for ages to create some leaves from copper. I thought I'd share my first two leaves. I didn't bother to finish them properly as they're just quick testers and I've had a cold for a few days so couldnt be doing with the noise from the tumbler atm! The smaller one was my first attempt, just a general leaf shape, the other was based on an ivy leaf but ended up a bit stretched :) I've taken pictures from the back as well to show the curves created from the fold forming a bit better.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Looking at the longer leaf from the back keeps making me think of a feather.. might have to give that a go next time :)

Thanks for looking :)

Rachael x

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Rachael,

They are fab! Can you be bothered to do a tutorial? i'd certainly appreciate it....

Paul

Thanks Paul :) I'd be more than happy to do one if you'd like, though as I say I'm only a beginner myself :) Next time I have a go (more than likely in the next couple of days) I will take some step by step photos and post them up for you :)

Rachael x

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looking great...I have to say the smaller (non ivy :() leaf is the most life like...but they are very beautiful and certainly have potential....

Looking at the construction....maybe silver for stem and veins and copper for the flesh?

Loving your work!

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Looking great...I have to say the smaller (non ivy :() leaf is the most life like...but they are very beautiful and certainly have potential....

Looking at the construction....maybe silver for stem and veins and copper for the flesh?

Loving your work!

Thanks Red.. I am working on your ivy leaf suggestion, I have several skeletonising as we speak :) I agree though, I prefer the smaller leaf too :) These leaves are made out of one piece of metal, but using silver for the stem/veins is a good idea.. I may have to give that a go too :)

Rachael x

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
They are? Wow thats some astonishing skill!!!

they are indeed :) It's quite a simple process, the results you can get with it can be amazing though.. you can create folded spirals that resemble ammonite shells, leaves, all sorts of different folds and patterns etc. I can't wait to get some more copper and a larger torch and get experimenting :) I already have a project in mind that will use up all my leaf experiments :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rachael those are beautiful :D

May I suggest another outlet for them ?

Cloak pins :)
Seriously, I use an oak leaf brooch to fasten my birrus, and it's always commented on. I try very hard to find decent cloak pins but there's very little that's really special out there.
Your copper leaves might be absolutely spot on :D :cool:

like this
IMG_0156.JPG

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE