squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Rachael those are beautiful :D

May I suggest another outlet for them ?

Cloak pins :)
Seriously, I use an oak leaf brooch to fasten my birrus, and it's always commented on. I try very hard to find decent cloak pins but there's very little that's really special out there.
Your copper leaves might be absolutely spot on :D :cool:

like this
IMG_0156.JPG

atb,
Mary

Thanks Mary :) Cloak pins are something I've been wanting to try for a while now, and Red suggested them too :) I've been looking online lately for pictures to try and get an idea of the sizes etc. that would be most useful to people. How big are the ones you use?

Rachael x

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somewhere around 6 to 8 cms long seems to work well. Mind the cloaks get thrown back over the shoulders at times; if the pin is too long it just jabs the wearer in the throat :sigh:

Quite often I put cloak chains on cloaks I make.........like officer's cloaks, and the kind the Queen wears, but they need a pair of pins and then the brooches aren't usually more than 3cms in diameter. That could look very good with a couple of copper ivy leaves :D

cheers,
M

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Somewhere around 6 to 8 cms long seems to work well. Mind the cloaks get thrown back over the shoulders at times; if the pin is too long it just jabs the wearer in the throat :sigh:

Quite often I put cloak chains on cloaks I make.........like officer's cloaks, and the kind the Queen wears, but they need a pair of pins and then the brooches aren't usually more than 3cms in diameter. That could look very good with a couple of copper ivy leaves :D

cheers,
M

I might have a go at one and send it to you to test for me if you wouldn't mind :) I saw a lovely pair of brooches with a chain on a cloak when I was looking for inspiration on google the other day.. can't find them anywhere now! I have plenty of chain so may have a go at them too :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Those leaves are brilliant - what tools and equipment do you need to make them (a bit more than a bushcraft knife and a saw I suspect).

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
They're actually not that difficult to make. I was quite surprised at my first attempts, I thought they'd just end up looking like mangled pieces of metal :) I've just been working on a oak leaf that is turning out quite nicely. I'll post a pic up when it is finished.. I ran out of gas in my torch earlier so will have to wait for another day :)

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Not forgotten about this! More copper arrived this morning so hopefully I will be able to take a few pics this week and get the tutorial up :)

Elines - I just get mine from ebay from whoever is cheapest :) Just search for copper sheet, anything upto about 0.7mm should be fine.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Not forgotten about this! More copper arrived this morning so hopefully I will be able to take a few pics this week and get the tutorial up :)

Elines - I just get mine from ebay from whoever is cheapest :) Just search for copper sheet, anything upto about 0.7mm should be fine.

Ok - thanks for that

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb stuff I love the look of those, especially with that cloak,
and boy would I fancy a tutorial ( voice in the back of the head , No Ruud stop it you have enough on your to do list)
Ah the hell with it ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE