Handlining primitivishlyish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I've been working on a braided nettle fish line and I've got a bunch of primitive hooks.

I've fished for flounder in the mouth of the yay but I wanting to try it of a primitive handpine with hawthorn hooks, is this legal to do?

All the anglers at this end oglf the tay(at the mouth) don't seem to have any special licence so I assume I don't need one.

Any help appreciated.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ray mears did it for one of his programs on the thames ( well he left a static line overnight) so it defo aint illegal.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Cool, that's probably where I sub obviously stole the idea from.

Just finished 40 ft braided nettle line, made a 3 strand twined nettle leader, tied a stone on with a constrictor knot and attached the hook.

Going to go and give it a go for a few hours.

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Have to wait for the tide to come in.

Has anyone caught flounder with earthworms? Its all lugworm on the mudflats but my oldboys borrowed my wellies and I don't really fancy walking a quarter mile through kneedeep mud barefoot to get some bait.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
im planning on making a long line with paracord to try out on my next coastal foray a section with normal cord with internal thin pieces coming off it. I was planning on using circle hooks though so i can return undersized fish..

the plan would be to peg it out at low tide, let the tide come in and check it out once the tide waivers.

i guess the main thing to do is watch the line until the tide covers it to prevent harm to any birds.

i also thought you can try it whilst the tide is in by adding a weight and possibly coil casting it with the end fixed in place.

redsalmon

Jun 12, 2010
divot
i doubt on the Tay Estuary anyone would say anything about a static line on this level apart from just be interested, and certainly not look to prosecute/fine you. you could try Eden mouth for small flounder too, they'll swallow anything... and you might get a fishcake outta couple o them ... watch out for seals though! tight lines ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE