Handle style question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I came across this style of knife on the ravenforge site:

It has a sort of curved, narrow steel handle which clearly isn't designed for having any sort of handle fitted or wrapped. I've always liked the look of these. Aside from being asthetically very pleasing, do they serve any specific purpose, or offer something that a 'normal' handled knife doesn't?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
They were cheap to make because there is no wood or antler handle. I think that is the main reason why they had been very common.

You can hide it well and sleep on it because it's flat, especially if it isn't twisted.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Those last two points are just supposition and something I’ve never heard suggested before. There is no historical evidence to support it so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Enjoy this video though:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I came across this style of knife on the ravenforge site:

It has a sort of curved, narrow steel handle which clearly isn't designed for having any sort of handle fitted or wrapped. I've always liked the look of these. Aside from being asthetically very pleasing, do they serve any specific purpose, or offer something that a 'normal' handled knife doesn't?
They give folk who forge for the love of forging the opportunity to ”finish” a knife completely from the forge, no annoying hassle messing with wood or needing to glue and sand. ;). While written with a smile, I believe this is a big factor in why they get made.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
IMG_20220221_195031.jpg
I made one at the Bushcraft show a few years back. The handle is really uncomfortable for tasks that require a strong grip; especially the twisted part. Oddly it has become my go to knife for cutting leather.
I have heard them described as a "viking knife" or a "viking woman's knife (supposedly made from the broken tip of a sword) but I don't think there is any evidence that they are anything to do with vikings.

Z

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am not especially interested in that, but I think I have seen such knives in a lot of museums. So far I remember without twisted part. I think that's a very old pattern and surely existed more of it than swords.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Some interesting thoughts - and a great YouTube video. Confirms my suspicions that these are likely not comfortable for anything other than light, general use.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think they were sharps for light cutting, apparently often found in women's graves. I think I have a few from various fairs, not used them much and I don't think I have ever carried one.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I think they were sharps for light cutting, apparently often found in women's graves. I think I have a few from various fairs, not used them much and I don't think I have ever carried one.
In Finland that type of knife is known as "matron of the house"-knife. A user for the tasks a woman needed a knife in running the household.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The value of a knife that can be quickly made by one person with less tools is not to be underestimated.
Plus I don't know about anyone else but for me a huge amount of the use I have for a knife is of the light duty type and they also might not have such soft hands as most people do today.

I keep reading posts by people saying that a certain knife would give them blisters yada yada yada but then I think if the shoulder plane (think its a Stanley 92) I've had for years and used quite extensively.

It's not what I would describe as a comfortable shape but it's never caused me to have blisters.

Personally I suspect this propensity to blister at the first chance is more of a theoretical risk than a reality.

Thats not to say that I never blister, its happened a few times. Just not often.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
People who lived earlier centuries and did physical work weren´t born with hard skined hands. They too were born with soft hands and got blisters but had to do the job regardless the pain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE