hand made folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking for a maker for a multi blade folder (non locker, 2-3 blades, potentially incorporating a small saw blade, wooden scales).

I am hoping someone can recommend me a skilled maker.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for the link.

Sorry, i should have detailed custom knife maker rather than simply hand made. I am looking to use the makers patterns with my own choice of blades [and likely steel]. I am after certain blades, some of which will have specific uses. I can only find 'compromises' off the shelf, inc that site. :)

Just in case one exists 'off the shelf' i am looking for these blades with appropriate grinds:
a clip or spear point [carving/utility]
a wharncliffe or sheeps foot [carving]
a hornbill blade [foraging]
a saw [optional]
an awl [forgot about an awl, but optional]

I would't entirely rule out modifying a victorinox farmer/hunter if it is possible, but i would prefer an experienced maker.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Not sure if Shing would make such a thing but it's possible.
Trevor Ablett knives from Sheffield are not too far from your brief and a piece of history.I have one with stag handles but I think he does a wood option.
Cheers, Simon

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Not sure there are many makers of multibladed knives, particularly if include the saw.

Might want to try allaboutpocketknives forum.

As for Victorinox's
A Pioneer Harvester has everything but the wharncliffe.
A Electrician has everything but the hornbill.
A Electrician Duo has everything but the awl, and only 50? were ever made.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Not sure there are many makers of multibladed knives, particularly if include the saw.

Might want to try allaboutpocketknives forum.

As for Victorinox's
A Pioneer Harvester has everything but the wharncliffe.
A Electrician has everything but the hornbill.
A Electrician Duo has everything but the awl, and only 50? were ever made.

The man knows his victorinox's :cool: (i was gonna put "swiss army knives" there. But i get a feeling thats wrong somehow :lmao:)

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks, will take a good look at them tonight jared, when i am home. I must have missed them, the closest i could find without another ton of tools i will never use was the farmer alox. I have been close to buying one of the models with too many tools and trying to modify it.

The saw i can take or leave tbh. I was actually expecting that if it was possible the maker would probably have to salvage one from an SAK/opinel 12; or otherwise buy one in from a knife supply retailer if they sell them.

The trevor abletts are again a close compromise. I will keep them on the reserve list, cheers plastic. Is shing a forum member here or on BB? Not sure how to find memebrs on here, will try later if so.

Cheers

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
//forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56122.msg990467.html#msg990467[/url]

Seems not as straight forward as thought.

Extract:
"[...] If I put a pruner / eblade in one layer I take a blade spring and grind it down to the thickness of an opener spring and do it that way. [...] If you can lose the awl though the eblade fits there great."

That should be fairly straight forward for me tbh to swap out the opener for a blade, i have the right tools to do that properly if i understand it correctly. I could swap the awl for a blade without issue if it turns out i don't understand it correctly. I presume if i can swap the awl i could also swap out the saw for a blade, so that would be a third option.

Do the scales on the alox models also act as the chassis? I'm trying to gauge if i could fit wooden scales.

Thats a really solid, versatile, well priced fallback if i can't find a maker; which i would prefer paying the extra for the sake of steel and grind choice. Thanks for that link, really appreciated.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Do the scales on the alox models also act as the chassis? I'm trying to gauge if i could fit wooden scales.

Thats a really solid, versatile, well priced fallback if i can't find a maker; which i would prefer paying the extra for the sake of steel and grind choice. Thanks for that link, really appreciated.

Yeah, the scales provide the structure.

I'd imagine would have to make some stainless liners to be able to fit wooden scales.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The saw i can take or leave tbh. I was actually expecting that if it was possible the maker would probably have to salvage one from an SAK/opinel 12;
Cheers

Having owned both Opinel saws, I would recommend going elsewhere - I found them to be very soft, easy to bend and not very effective at cutting to be honest - SAK saws on the other hand are great value and punch well above their small size.

ATB

Ogr the trog

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Go for any of the 111mm SAK versions with a saw, you will not find a better saw anywhere. I just bought one today to replace my Farmer which has mysteriously disappeared a couple of days ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE